Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
...Fighting under conditions of uncertainty seems more like a mindset problem than a force structure problem to me, provided one has a full-spectrum force. His comments on uncertainty seems to argue for a full-spectrum force (something I support) - is that what he's calling for? I couldn't really tell.
Can't answer for him but that's the way I took it.
I also think his comments on RMA and transformation are a bit too critical and it seems he might want to throw the baby out with the bathwater in that regard...

Although I agree the concepts of RMA and transformation were oversold as a grand-unified-theory of warfare, they should not be simply abandoned because they still have utility in certain kinds of conflict. RMA and transformation concepts should be kept in those areas where they work and discarded in those areas where they don't.
I'm inclined to throw out the whole caboodle. I'm also curious. Where do you think they might work?
Personally, I see this more as a political problem than a force structure problem. Differences in force structure are not going to matter much in terms of deterring or coercing states that utilize proxies - it's ultimately political will to hold a state accountable for what proxies do that matters. History seems to show that such political will rarely exists which is why proxies are so effective.
True but force structure has a significant effect on what your forces can be successfully committed to do.
He's right about surveillance, but the reason there was a lack of ground forces was the inability to rapidly deploy and sustain a more adequate force quickly. These limitations were what drove planners toward using locals as a proxy ground force.
I think there's much more to it. Planning failures and command disconnects (regrettably to include some parochialism...) were also involved.
Finally, I strongly agree with Ron's comments regarding the relationship between strategy and resources.
True -- and that's why force structure has significant impact and that's why we must have full spectrum forces.