Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
We DID train people on what to do and we did test them and fire the incompetents; something that I think is not really done today If that's true -- and in my day it did happen occasionally -- then it is not a training problem, it's a leadership problem that is reflected in poor training.
but tactical planning is not just a brigade or even battalion level skill.
I agree and can't speak for today but used to be that it got as much emphasis in training as it needed. ...
My experiance is that we "train" alot at the small unit level, but that the training consists of drills, drills, more drills, and then some more drills. Drills are great and all, but they do not teach thinking, planning or intiative and that is what is lacking in our small unit training in my eyes. Since all planning, thinking and intiative is reserved for Battalion and higher echelons (Maybe Company level) then technology is needed to micro-manage the lower echelons and seems to be substituted for planning at the small unit level. Of course my military background is with the 1/501st Abn. in the mid 90's when it was part of the defunct 6th I.D. and therefore had a very limited training budget and the 41st BCT National Guard, which is limited by the fact that it is the national guard, so perhaps if I had been in the 82nd my view would be differnt.
Reed