I think I've stated this elsewhere in previous threads... if not here goes, among the best two PMEs/instructional lessons I've had since back from OIF II were 2 ride-alongs with the Metro PD in D.C. and one with a counter-gang unit in LA. Both truly eye-opening experiences with a number of lessons learned on things that I wish I'd done and trained my unit to do in Iraq. With respect to comments on vehicle patrols, both in D.C. and LA I travelled in vehicles at times, "walked the beat" at times, and even ate at local restaurants while on the job. The major difference I noticed between the cops and Marines/Soldiers when it comes to employing vehicles is that the military used HMMWVs as a primary means of patrolling and rarely, if ever got out. The cops used the vehicles to reach the outer fringes of their AOs and got out often. For example, the cop I was with in D.C. knew every kid/teenager on the street throughout the night, where they lived, most parents' occupation, etc. I barely knew the names of 10 families in my AO (granted I was 1 of 2 patrolling elements in the 600,000 person town of Najaf). The cop's "AO" was no larger than 500 meters x 500 meters. I also was only in Najaf for 4 months. The cop worked in his AO for 2 years.

While I'm not a huge fan of technology and the dispatch type-operating environment mentioned, I did see the merit of such a system while in D.C. In the course of the patrol we stopped in one section of a neighborhood. While stopped dispatch called with the address of an ongoing domestic abuse incident. The cop "knew his turf" so well that we were at the door (along with another squad car) within 1 minute (a few blocks drive). The cops proceeded to knock on the door, saw the woman with a mark on her neck, asked who was responsible, the woman said "my boyfriend" and before she could finish saying his first name, one of the cops stated his last name, asked if he still drove a certain make/model of a car and lived at a certain address. She shook her head yes. The cop then tapped the button on his motorola radio and had another squad car routed to the guy's house. This all within a 2-minute time period. As I watched I thought NOW THIS IS EXPLOITING ACTIONABLE INTELLIGENCE!

My experience with the LA counter-gang unit was equally valuable. We in the military have lots to learn from our brothers in arms back here at home.

Semper Fi,
Scott