since you have experience in the African rescue business ?

Since the UN-NGO world is a small one, you may well have known the hostage. In any case, I extend my condolences and prayers.

I do have a French law of armed conflict question. That is: what are the legal requirements for France to engage in an armed conflict so as to bring the Geneva Conventions into play ?

For example here in US, a formal declaration of war is one way - not used since WWII. Another is pursuant to a UN chap 7 SC mandate (the only legal prop for the Korean War). Another (most common) is an Authorization to Use Military Force (AUMF), as in the 2001 AUMF (OEF) and 2003 AUMF (OIF). Any of those results in the Laws of War (Laws of Armed Conflict) (International Humanitarian Law) being applicable to the conflict.

And, can France legally engage a non-state actor (AQ) in a formal armed conflict ?

I ask that question because, for the most part, the EU nations seem to approach AQ as terrorists subject to law enforcement (not law of war) standards. And, GWB's GWOT and the application of the Laws of War have been strongly criticized by a number of EU jurists.

Of course, LE standards allow force to be used in hostage rescues. So, in this particular case, the two legal standards may not be that different

Thus, does "guerre contre AQ" have any legal force under French law - or is it simply rhetoric ? RSVP.

Regards

Mike