Malaya and Kenya were. Rhodesia was. Viet Nam was. So was Iraq. In fact in the latter, aside from all the obvious signs which the Army War College study, State and the CIA predicted, Saddam himself told us. He publicly released all the prisoners in jails, told us he was going to arm the populace and put weapons and ammo everywhere and that the whole nation would arise to defeat us. Gave the two russian generals who suggested all that gold medals just before we went in. We all missed it or at least missed the total significance. Then compounded that felony by disbanding the Army and putting a bunch of political twits in the CPA -- which should never have been formed. We not only missed the warning signs, we exacerbated the problem by not knowing what to do once the battle for Baghdad was finished.

So we have a an Intel failure (in the sense of lack of force by the community in stating the indications adequately in their ceaseless effort to never be wrong...), followed by political failure, followed by military failure, leading to a full blown insurgency. Which, like most of them, will be fixed by military effort, followed by political improvements. On the Intel improvements, the jury's out...

I further suggest that all those I mention could have been avoided and rechannelled with little effort early on had not a little old fashioned hubris (or our stupid egos...) gotten in the way. I honestly have not paid that much attention to Nepal but I suspect that the same thing holds true.