Thread: Laurie Mylroie

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

I have to say that I agree completely with bourbon as to both the quality and objectivity of Peter Bergen's analyses, and the complete and utter lack of either in the case of Laurie Mylroie.

Default We can disagree and agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    I have to say that I agree completely with bourbon as to both the quality and objectivity of Peter Bergen's analyses, and the complete and utter lack of either in the case of Laurie Mylroie.
    I disagree on Bergen; as I said, having read a bit of his stuff, I see no expertise; familiarity, yes -- but that's not expertise to me. Your mileage obviously varies and that's fine.

I agree with you both on Mylroie. Only making an issue of it because this seems to me to more an unnecessary political / ideological thread effort than one pertaining to warfare...

Default Well said

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    *golf clap* A concise assessment. Well said.

Another element: Inside the Beltway, it is not uncommon for someone in or close to Congress or the Cabinet to have a favored academic, speaker, "expert", what have you, and force that "expert" upon folks who really want nothing to do with the dubious assertions they might spout. Mylroie might have patronage that the ONA couldn't (politically) say no to.

And leaking the facts of the matter to the press as an "unnamed administration official" or "anonymous source" might be an easy way to bring this sort of silliness to the public light.

Default Which being true does not affect the fact

that this is an ideological and not a practical discussion -- nor does it confer any expertise on Bergen...