Thread: Podcast: Building A Law Enforcement Intelligence Operation Center, Part I

Council Member

Default Podcast: Building A Law Enforcement Intelligence Operation Center, Part I

Hi, folks.

There is a new episode of the Police-Led Intelligence Podcast (http://policeledintelligence.com/), which describes the development and operation of the asset forfeiture and intelligence division of the Nassau County (NY) Police Department. Here's a brief description:

Detective Sergeant Patrick Ryder is the commanding officer of the asset forfeiture and intelligence division of the Nassau County (NY) Police Department. Paddy, a 28-year veteran officer, has created and runs one of America's most comprehensive local law enforcement intelligence operations. He also is in charge of the asset forfeiture division that has provided funding to establish and expand that operation. In the first of two podcasts, Paddy describes how the intelligence division got started.
    Here's the link to podcast: http://policeledintelligence.com/2011/04/06/ryder-ncpd/.
    Erich G. Simmers
    www.weaponizedculture.org

Erich,

Thanks for the post. It is important to listen to the podcast (45 mins?), the article cited is a summary.

Much of what NCPD does is not new, the communication method used is, which is likened to a TV product and modern cop-friendly.

I noted a reference to a 85% recidivist rate, mapping their location when on probation etc and overlaying that on current crime patterns to direct pro-active action. That puzzled me, if your detection rate is low it is a dangerous assumption to assume recidivists are those responsible and act upon.

There is considerable research on house burglary, here and in the USA IIRC, that many offenders remain unknown to law enforcement and when presented with an opportunity a known cheque fraudster for example will commit a burglary.
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    Erich,

Thanks for the post. It is important to listen to the podcast (45 mins?), the article cited is a summary.
    For those who may be looking for the podcast itself, the PLI Podcast is available through iTunes as well as directly from this link. It is definitely worth a listen.

Much of what NCPD does is not new, the communication method used is, which is likened to a TV product and modern cop-friendly.
    I am not sure if this is new or unique, but one of the things that struck me most about the interview of Detective Sergeant Ryder was the idea of "selling your services." It took a very literal meaning through sharing intelligence products in order to gain a stake other agencies' forfeiture, but there also was more symbolic selling with arresting officers getting credit in their intelligence system. This carried over to the actual presentation of the product in the creation of baseball cards a la early Iraq War, which I wouldn't have expected from a law enforcement agency. All seemed like solid ways to encourage sharing.

I noted a reference to a 85% recidivist rate, mapping their location when on probation etc and overlaying that on current crime patterns to direct pro-active action. That puzzled me, if your detection rate is low it is a dangerous assumption to assume recidivists are those responsible and act upon.

There is considerable research on house burglary, here and in the USA IIRC, that many offenders remain unknown to law enforcement and when presented with an opportunity a known cheque fraudster for example will commit a burglary.
    That struck me, too. I would be interested to hear Ryder's response to that.
    Erich G. Simmers

Default Part 2 available (in part)

Erich and others,

Part 2 has been posted on the website:http://policeledintelligence.com/201...enter-part-ii/

The podcast does not work, so comment added and hopefully not just an issue in the UK.

I have also posted a comment and question to Sgt. Ryder on the website (thanks Erich for the reminder).
    davidbfpo

Council Member

It doesn't seem to be working for me either.
    Erich G. Simmers

Default Podcast Part 2 is working

Thanks to site moderator the link has been fixed:http://plip.podbean.com/2011/04/13/p...tment-part-ii/

Will listen another day as watching a WW1 documentary.
    davidbfpo

Default Nassau PD replies

Erich,

Sgt. Ryder's response to my comments on the other website:
    Sir,
    I agree with the fact that it is a dangerous assumption to assume – and we all know what happens when we assume!

The whole concept behind Intelligence Led Policing is to give the cop on the street additional tools to do his job more effectively and efficiently; it is the old method of constant and irregular patrol with a direction and a purpose. We don’t direct them at the probationary necessarily as a target, but the statistics show that a burglary probationary may be doing more burglaries.

We teach them through the touch screens of Real Time Intelligence to understand the criminal environment, and to know who the players are, but we also explain on every single intelligence bulletin and/or probationary profile is “This report is not probable cause for arrest and please contact the Intelligence Center with any additional information”.

What happens is the cop learns of the criminal activity on his post from the screen and then looks at who is on probation or parole (Warrants, DNA required, Gang Activity, etc). While responding to the call, he sees the bad guy walking away from the scene, he may want to encounter or later contact his probation or parole officer and have them pay the person a visit.

We have closed a bunch of cases by conducting probation visits and finding proceeds from previous crimes. A cop today has a world of problems on his shoulders – handling aided cases, gang issues, drug problems in the schools, and crime on his post. What RTI does is give them a direction, and an awareness of their criminal environment and the environment on the adjoining post, so they can effectively and efficiently do their jobs.

We are a county of 1.4 million residents, and have a sworn police department of approximately 2,350 (every day we are down-sizing, the effect of a good ILP program). Last year we lowered our violent crime by 11% and this year in the first quarter we are down another 10% – there is a direct correlation to the RTI screens driving enforcement and educating the cop.

We measure success by arrest and crime numbers, and there have been 609 warrants closed and 392 DNA samples taken directly related to the system. A cop sees on the screen who is wanted or owes DNA on his post, and he proactively goes after it. Before, a cop only knew if someone had a warrant if he encountered the person and ran the name.

It’s all about understanding the criminal environment, and we are cautious – as you pointed out – not to target a probationary but to know who he is. I agree with the comment and hope I have shown you the measures we have taken to protect the program.
    Link:http://policeledintelligence.com/2011/04/06/ryder-ncpd/
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 04-15-2011 at 07:03 PM.
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Erich,

Sgt. Ryder's response to my comments on the other website:

Link:http://policeledintelligence.com/2011/04/06/ryder-ncpd/
    That is pretty interesting. I wonder how many departments find themselves in this situation: "A cop sees on the screen who is wanted or owes DNA on his post, and he proactively goes after it. Before, a cop only knew if someone had a warrant if he encountered the person and ran the name."
    Erich G. Simmers