Join Date: Sep 2006
The Egyptian-Yemen War
Infantry Magazine, Jan-Feb 2004 (pdf - AKO log-in required)
Last edited by Jedburgh; 04-08-2007 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Added links, edited text.
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Pedro, California
Additional references on the Yemen Civil War
Greetings to ALCON.
Some additional references about the civil war in Yemen and the role of the Egyptian expeditionary force and significant Soviet logistical support [mostly airlift by Soviet Air Force military transports of materiel, supplies, and Egyptian troop from air bases in Egypt]:
1. "The Military History of Yemen 1839-1967" (paperback, in Arabic), by Sultan Naji, co-published in Beirut & Sana'a', 1988
2. "Memoirs of a Military Advisor" (in Russian, online post) - Author is a retired Soviet Army officer [armor corps] who was senior advisor for equipping and training of the land forces of People's Democratic Republic of Yemen [PDRY, aka South Yemen] after independence
3. [Exact title unavailable](translated into Arabic edition)- Memoirs of a Soviet diplomat posted to the Embassy of the then-USSR in Sana'a
4. Dissertation, "Egypt, the Cold War, and the Civil War in Yemen, 1962-1966", by Jesse Ferris, PhD, Princeton U, NJ 2008
5. [Exact title unavailable for the moment](paperback, in Arabic) - Memoirs of the former commander of an Egyptian Army mechanized infantry battalion deployed and employed in Yemen 1966-1967
Other materials are available about Yemen and "things Yemeni" such as advising, training, equipping, sustaining, coaching, influencing, and interacting otherwise with military-age Yemeni counterparts and trainees. While some items are dated, they contain "oldie goldie" nuggets of LLs, TTPs, and working/operating with counterparts inside a profoundly-different "operational culture" [here borrowing a good a USMC term].
Hope these citations help.
Stephen H. Franke
LTC, FAO/MI [48G "Gulfie" &
San Pedro, California
[Advisor/SME on content of pending "Tactical Yemeni" Arabic
language & culture software for interactive self-training of
DOD and other USG personnel outbound to or near Yemen]
Today is 14 April 2010