Thread: South Africa (catch all)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

13 KIA is bad but it could've been worse. I couldn't open the defenseweb link by AdamG but I think it might be the article I read last summer written by a former SADF officer about the current state of junior officer training in SANDF........new LTs not understanding basic field order preparation, minimal understanding of C2 via radio, etc.....

If that is what caused, or played a part in, the recent deaths, then yes, SANDF in CAR has a combat readiness problem. But if it had more to with their ROE or poorly defined mission, then I'd look to their national leadership decision-making skills VS SANDF readiness. Any stories on what contributed to the KIAs?

Council Member

Found this after quick google search:

http://www.bdlive.co.za/national/201...a-in-spotlight

From the sounds of the news article, they were a fairly light force that got engaged by a much larger force. They claim 500 enemy casualties. The fighting apparently lasted 9 hours. So, I would say that it's probably more ROE/Mission/Force Structure related than soldier training or readiness- at least if the news report is any indication.

A counter point of view, despite it apparently lasted for hours and cusualties were high in the seleka ranks
    SANDF: CAR rebels regretted killing of SA soldiers
    Suicide mission
    The Beeld reported on Tuesday that beyond the official toll of those injured, killed and missing, six special forces operators were also killed in the fighting.

The newspaper reported that the SANDF had become a target for reportedly helping Central African Republic (CAR) President Francois Boziz flee the country into the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

According to the report, top structures were warned by senior SANDF officers last week that the CAR mission amounted to "suicide".

South African Air Force aircraft were also put on standby on Monday night, though due to financial constraints the Gripens were not armed with weapons with an attack capacity.

SANDF soldiers reportedly struggled on the ground due to lack of logistics and air support.

Soldiers had to ask French parachutists for essential equipment, with only one doctor present with a backpack for medical support.
    http://mg.co.za/article/2013-03-26-s...of-sa-soldiers

If you follow Ken Wats link and then go to the editorial you find the Opposition in South Africa are making serious allegations, I cite the last paragraph - with my emphasis:
    As Democratic Alliance defence spokesman David Maynier said on Monday, the nature of the battle calls into question whether the president misled Parliament when he informed members of the joint standing committee on defence that the SANDF was being deployed in CAR to help with "capacity building". It now seems they were deployed to defend particular economic interests near the capital on behalf of a corrupt, authoritarian and unpopular government. The only thing to do now is to withdraw a force that probably should not have been deployed in the first place.
    Link:http://www.bdlive.co.za/opinion/edit...ould-leave-car

One wonders what the French think? Who I am sure are at the main airport, as is their practice.

All looks very messy for RSA. My perceptions were not helped by the SANDF general interviewed on BBC Radio 4 terminating the interview when the questions got tough.
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Default A couple of days ago

Half a minute of video, French troops secure Central African Republic airport (0:35)

Regards

Mike

Must have been a hell of a time for SANDF. Did they get out? I haven't seen anything since then about them actually leaving successfully.

Default Worth reading

Hat tip to Zenpundit for Eeben Barlow's commentary 'Failing to Listen', which talks about the difficulties in getting intelligence accepted and touches upon what happened in the CAR:http://eebenbarlowsmilitaryandsecuri...to-listen.html

A taster:
    ...not only was the overall SANDF strategy flawed but that the strategy had its foundation resting on poor intelligence – and no strategy can succeed if it is developed off assumptions and rumours.
    davidbfpo