Quote Originally Posted by flagg View Post
Question about Israeli involvement in East Africa:

How much of a factor would the East African Nile River and Egypt's ultimate dependance on it play into Israeli efforts in the region?

If Egypt sees a leadership change and a shift in policy away from detente with Israel I could imagine an opportunity to exert leverage over Egypt by partnering with and to the benefit of upstream Nile River users or working with them all to make efficient use of the resource thru Israeli water/farming tech in exchange for security considerations.

If I were Israeli and I was concerned about Egypt in the medium to long term, I would be putting some effort into influence/control over Nile River water politics.
You have a point there that I had not even thought of or seen from any news outlet or bloggers. It sounds plausible. This al-shabaab conflict is bringing out a lot of regional issues. I just put up a post on my blog today dealing with the Eritrean and Ogaden clan actions concerning the war on these terrorists. You can see it at www.terrorisminafrica.com

Ethnicity plays an important part in everything African. Africans understand that fact, but few outsiders do. Israelis and Egyptians could bring a new dimension to the fight.

History tells us that no one is out for the "common good."