I guess part of it depends on how you define “strategist.” Certain other factors also have to be considered. Europe’s history is more extensive than that of the US, and the involvement of higher military figures in actual government and policy-making has been higher. There was also a significant period of US history where our focus was very much inward (although the Frontier expansion was warfare and did involve strategy…although not in what might be considered the traditional or European sense), and our political structure has always militated against the formation of long-term policy.

That said, I do believe we have produced more than a few “grand strategists.” By that I mean strategy that focuses on the integrated (political and military) level and tries to carry over through more than one 2-year election cycle. Theodore Roosevelt was one of our first in my view. Nixon attempted to be one, and did meet with some successes on the political side. Wilson thought he was one, as did MacArthur.