Thread: In The USA: the Next Revolution

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Longshoremen

A little better coverage in The Seattle Times. That picture embedded in the story is worth 10,000 words. Curious thing is that both unions, the current one and the one the terminal operator wants to bring in, are under AFL-CIO. Going to set a bad precedent if no charges are filed above and beyond the initial arrests.

Council Member

Our nation has a long history of violent labor protests, often initiated by unions, but with the mood of the country nation wide I can see this spreading if it is not effectively suppressed. I also can't help but wonder if some folks in the White House aren't cheering this on to achieve political objectives.

Council Member

Union violence nowadays is particularly problematic because it's a sign of weakening power, not increasing power. With higher union membership, there would be less incitement to violence because those who would benefit from union activities would be able to achieve their goals through non-violent means. But union membership, as I understand it, is down and shrinking, which leads to violence because those goals can't be met.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Our nation has a long history of violent labor protests, often initiated by unions, but with the mood of the country nation wide I can see this spreading if it is not effectively suppressed. I also can't help but wonder if some folks in the White House aren't cheering this on to achieve political objectives.
    Why would some folks in the White House cheer this on and how would they achieve their political objectives by doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Why would some folks in the White House cheer this on and how would they achieve their political objectives by doing that?
    I'll play : 1) to ensure that they stay in power and 2) mobilize and energize an active power base that can be used to counter a perceived threat (in this case, the "Tea Party").
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg