Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surferbeetle View Post
    True.

Presently working on some books in this arena to include:

Extreme Money by Satyajit Das, ISBN 10:0132790076

The Euro by David Marsh, ISBN 9780300127300

Reading recommendations are always welcome
    None of those. You'll learn nothing more than a few confusing metaphors from folks with some working knowledge of financial math, a tenuous grasp on economics, and a self-serving sense of history.

Better to start with this. Once you're done, you'll have a better feel for navigating through the literature. Also, feel free to browse this. Feel free to follow through on the prereqs where needed. Also, don't forget to try your hand out with the problem sets. No one ever learned anything of value without practical exercise.
    PH Cannady
    Correlate Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Presley Cannady View Post
    ...Also, feel free to browse this. Feel free to follow through on the prereqs where needed. Also, don't forget to try your hand out with the problem sets. No one ever learned anything of value without practical exercise.
    The later set looks very interesting. I would like to see how those write-ups and examples compare to what we do in oil companies when looking at investment economics.

Quote Originally Posted by Presley Cannady View Post
    None of those.

Better to start with this. Once you're done, you'll have a better feel for navigating through the literature. Also, feel free to browse this. Feel free to follow through on the prereqs where needed. Also, don't forget to try your hand out with the problem sets. No one ever learned anything of value without practical exercise.
    Thank you for these.

Homework/problem sets are indeed where real learning takes place.

Free historical options data sets? I have a cboe app and am aware of the google daily rollups but am interested in time series data to check my understanding...just a retail guy, nothing heavy duty. My low cost broker does not seem to offer those time series.
    Sapere Aude

Default Strike Price Data Sets

For any other searchers, from the CBOE website:

Q: Where can I find historical options prices?

A: Currently, the Chicago Board Options Exchange and the International Securities Exchange make historical options pricing available on a subscription basis. Information on these offerings are available at the following links:

http://www.marketdataexpress.com
    http://www.ise.com

Additionally, you may also contact market data vendors, i.e., Thompson Reuters, for historical options data. For more information, visit http://quant.thomsonreuters.com/.
    Sapere Aude

Woman Gets Jail For Food-Stamp Fraud; Wall Street Fraudsters Get Bailouts, by Matt Taibbi. RollingStone-TaibbiBlog, 17 November 2011.
    Here’s another thing that boggles my mind: You get busted for drugs in this country, and it turns out you can make yourself ineligible to receive food stamps.

But you can be a serial fraud offender like Citigroup, which has repeatedly been dragged into court for the same offenses and has repeatedly ignored court injunctions to abstain from fraud, and this does not make you ineligible to receive $45 billion in bailouts and other forms of federal assistance.

This is the reason why all of these settlements allowing banks to walk away without "admissions of wrongdoing" are particularly insidious. A normal person, once he gets a felony conviction, immediately begins to lose his rights as a citizen.

But white-collar criminals of the type we’ve seen in recent years on Wall Street – both the individuals and the corporate "citizens" – do not suffer these ramifications. They commit crimes without real consequence, allowing them to retain access to the full smorgasbord of subsidies and financial welfare programs that, let’s face it, are the source of most of their profits.

Why, I wonder, does a bank that has committed fraud multiple times get to retain access to the Federal Reserve discount window? Why should Citigroup and Goldman Sachs get to keep their status as Primary Dealers of U.S. government debt? Are there not enough banks without extensive histories of fraud and malfeasance that can be awarded these de facto subsidies?
    “[S]omething in his tone now reminded her of his explanations of asymmetric warfare, a topic in which he had a keen and abiding interest. She remembered him telling her how terrorism was almost exclusively about branding, but only slightly less so about the psychology of lotteries…” - Zero History, William Gibson

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surferbeetle View Post
    Free historical options data sets?
    Wharton might be available through your institution. I honestly have no idea where our feeds come from; ain't my area, but free stuff is usually comprehensive but recent (Yahoo, Google), or historical but limtied (mostly indices or select baskets).

I have a cboe app and am aware of the google daily rollups but am interested in time series data to check my understanding...just a retail guy, nothing heavy duty. My low cost broker does not seem to offer those time series.
    You can exercise on recent data well enough.
    PH Cannady
    Correlate Systems