It seems to me that this conversation is losing value rapidly due to the fact that ad hominems and generalisations are creeping in. Buttons pushed and stuff like that. I think that two main questions / themes are being blurred somewhat.
1). To what extent are some CEOs and other top players guilty of criminal conduct?
2). To what extent is a huge differentiation in income (something like 500 fold) morally / ethically / legally / economically / social fabrically / what-ever-ly, justifiable or useful or sustainable?

Me? I am a self employed builder. I guess that puts me at least pretty close to the crappy workers class.
I have no problems whatsoever with the fact that a brain surgeon pulls in more than I do. I’d be concerned if that was not the case. But how much above the median or mean should the top few be? An order of 5 to 10 or so, I’d have no issues with at all. An order of 20 to 50 or so….my eyebrows are starting to gravitate in a Northerly direction. An order of 500 or so…..I think that is beyond silly!

I don’t agree with all that John Rawls puts on the table, but I think me makes some good points. The reason the top few can achieve the levels they do is because of the existence of hordes of crappy workers. These form the physical backbone of the social fabric. That same social fabric that the top few can enjoy to extents that go way beyond their individual contribution and worth to that social fabric. The businesses that these CEOs in question lead, and to which they deliver their value, are also agents within this same social fabric. Any individual or business that puts him/her/itself (too far) above this social fabric is delusional. But they can afford to disassociate themselves, financially at least. Beyond that…..well, we’ll see what the future has in store.