Not a comment on the situation in the USA, but Ireland. I particularly liked this option, which i expect could be done elsewhere and be popular:
National survival requires that Ireland walk away from the bailout. This in turn requires the Government to do two things: disengage from the banks, and bring its budget into balance immediately.
Fascinating and detailed article, rarely seen IMHO:http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...296372123.html

Now taking a wider, Western perspective. For a number of reasons there is a growing and significant disconnect between the public and government - in which the 'banking crisis' is one large factor. Much of banking relies on confidence, declining confidence as one international banker told me means trouble and "it's all hands to the pump". For the Western public they must have faith in their government(s), that has simply been dribbling away and of late evaporating.

It is strange to observe the 'traditional' left in parts of Europe and the 'radical' right looking ahead - spotting the same issues, such as 'big' government is going wrong.

I am mindful this is not a politics discussion board and will stop.