Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
I don't think keeping Glass-Steagal would have made an iota of difference. The mechanisms might have been a bit different, but things would have played out much the same way.
Possibly, but only because of the pattern of behavior that repealing Glass-Steagal was a part of.

The statement itself falls nowhere on the political spectrum: it's either true or false. People at varying points on the political spectrum may use true or false statements as they see fit, but the statements themselves don't fall anywhere.
I don't think there's any important difference in that distinction.

Possibly because you'd rather blame bankers than immigrants? Last I looked the tea party was more about blaming government, but I confess I don't look much in that direction.
That's an extreme oversimplification of my argument. There are a lot of facets to the problem. In my view, though, banks--financial institutions--are at the center of it. If you seriously place banks on the same level as immigrants in terms of who's responsible for the current mess, I don't think there's any point in continuing.

That's a symptom, not a cause.
If it's a symptom, it's one on the order of leukopenia in an AIDS patient: something serious enough to require treatment on its own, regardless of the underlying cause.