Quote Originally Posted by motorfirebox View Post
Possibly, but only because of the pattern of behavior that repealing Glass-Steagal was a part of.
That's the assumption you're making, yes.

That's an extreme oversimplification of my argument. There are a lot of facets to the problem. In my view, though, banks--financial institutions--are at the center of it. If you seriously place banks on the same level as immigrants in terms of who's responsible for the current mess, I don't think there's any point in continuing.
I don't see immigrants as a problem at all, but having read the OWS manifesto posted upthread, I don't think it gets anyone any closer to a solution than anything coming out of the tea party.

If it's a symptom, it's one on the order of leukopenia in an AIDS patient: something serious enough to require treatment on its own, regardless of the underlying cause.
Except that we haven't got a treatment that's likely to accomplish anything, and that any proposed symptomatic treatment is likely to be used as an excuse to avoid confronting the actual problems. In fact, of course, the most likely outcome will be to slap on a few regulatory band-aids aimed at solving yesterday's problems and proceed to repeat... it is our way.