I don't think this study broke any new ground, but it is useful because it is unclassified and therefore valuable as an education tool for those who don't understand the nature of the threat.

One part of the study was the author's apparent conflicted view on the importance of Al Qaeda Core. In one paragraph he'll argue they're not important, and then in the next point to their control of terrorist cells in the West. In short AQ Core remains important (though less important), and as the study points out the threat ideology has taken on a life of its own allowing numerous individuals, cells and other organizations to participate in open source Jihad.

I didn't see any valuable recommendations in the study, but I think one he could have pointed out was that due to fragmented nature of Jihad threat and other terrorist groups and lone wolfs acting to support various cause that it is impertative that the European States maintain capable police and intelligence services and that the their people are educated to be eyes and ears for security forces.

There is no silver bullet for eliminating the threat or preventing the conversion of frustrated young people to the various extremist causes.