Thread: Taming Pakistan: Modi Effect

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MoorthyM View Post
    This alone tellingly informs us how poorly placed America is in advancing its strategic interests, and further confirms its status as a declining civilization, not withstanding its leadership in science and technology (for now).

As an American citizen, I am doing what I can to slow down this decline, by initiating a discussion that can lead to a paradigm shift in the way we view, for instance, the emergence of the likes of Narendra Modi of India.
    The actions of the US are often unexplainable. Perhaps you can help me understand why they view Modi as a threat/risk/whatever while still cozy with Pakistan?

Moorthy:

I have a question. Mr. Modi won a fairly decisive victory. Does this mean do you think that India is more united politically and therefore more likely not to turn the other cheek when the Pak Army/ISI strikes India again? I figure they will since that is their nature and their morale will go way up after finish bugging out of Afghsnistan.

Also how much if at all will India increase it's involvement in Afghanistan after we leave?
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Default Rhetoric and what next?

A short commentary by IISS's South Asia expert, Rahul Roy-Chaudhury and here are two passages:
    At the same time, anti-Pakistan rhetoric featured often in the campaign, in marked contrast to Pakistan’s own general elections a year ago, during which there had been little anti-India rhetoric in the political mainstream. On April 19 BJP parliamentary candidate Giriraj Singh reportedly stated that those who opposed Modi should be sent to Pakistan. In response to this ‘hate speech’, legal cases were launched against him, but he was ultimately granted bail.

An unseemly public spat with Pakistan also occurred. In a Gujarati television interview at the end of April, Modi suggested he might consider undertaking cross-border covert action against Pakistan to pursue a terrorist such as Dawood Ibrahim. In response, Pakistan’s interior minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali claimed that Modi had made an ‘irresponsible statement’ and that such action by a prime minister would ‘destabilise’ the region. The BJP subsequently denied that Modi had spoken of attacking Pakistan. In a subsequent interview with a leading English television channel, Modi suggested that talks with Pakistan could not take place if there was cross-border terrorism.

Link:https://www.iiss.org/en/iiss%20voice...-campaign-5e65
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    Moorthy:

I have a question. Mr. Modi won a fairly decisive victory. Does this mean do you think that India is more united politically and therefore more likely not to turn the other cheek when the Pak Army/ISI strikes India again? I figure they will since that is their nature and their morale will go way up after finish bugging out of Afghsnistan.

Also how much if at all will India increase it's involvement in Afghanistan after we leave?
    Carl, that's an easy one.

I do think that instead of merely responding to Pakistan's belligerence, the new govt. will methodically work to defang Pakistan. I do believe there exists political as well as administrative backing for that. Mind you, India knows Pakistan only too well, including its major weaknesses…

Regarding India’s future involvement in Afghanistan, I am unable to venture a guess, although I have some preferences.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    The actions of the US are often unexplainable. Perhaps you can help me understand why they view Modi as a threat/risk/whatever while still cozy with Pakistan?
    These are very good questions that touch the very heart of why the US's plans are unexplainable (actually at all levels).

Although I have some ideas on why this is the case, I am respectfully going to take a pass for the time being.
    Last edited by MoorthyM; 05-20-2014 at 03:18 AM.