Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Never Ending Airpower Versus Groundpower Debate

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Link below has a picture of the thing,capsule,lounge chair,whatever you want to call it. Notice the drink holder to

http://blog.wired.com/defense/
    No, that's a United Airlines first class passenger seat.. the actual capsule is shown on the WaPo article.

In any event, I'm sure the Air Force wouldn't have cup-holders. It would have Personal Liquid Replenishment Mounts (Anti-Spill), and they would cost about as much as Steve's new motorcycle.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Link below has a picture of the thing,capsule,lounge chair,whatever you want to call it. Notice the drink holder to

http://blog.wired.com/defense/
    That's an image of a United Airlines first-class seat for international travel, not the SLICC.

Still, yet another dumb AF move.

I couldn't get the article to come at first for some reason but I see what you mean now.

Council Member

And actually, the picture in the article is not the SLICC, but the SLIP, which I gather is not enclosed and is smaller (only one pallet position).

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    And actually, the picture in the article is not the SLICC, but the SLIP, which I gather is not enclosed and is smaller (only one pallet position).
    There are two pictures in the WaPo piece (it is a slide show)--one of each, I presume.

Its a good thing we're not all in IMINT...

Default Saving Taxpayer dollars

They really are getting more cost conscious in the Air Force.

At least they are buying multi-pallet-sized loads to slide into more than one existing aircraft rather than buying several aircraft customized as flying VIP hotels--
    But, that's like my wife saying she saved us money buying the 4 pairs of shoes she didn't need at 40% off at DSW.
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    The greatest educational dogma is also its greatest fallacy: the belief that what must be learned can necessarily be taught. — Sydney J. Harris

Council Member

Danger room has updated it's post on the subject:

UPDATE: An Air Force spokesman sent DANGER ROOM a lengthy story today refuting details in the Washington Post's story. Here's the gist of the Air Force argument.

Reference “SLICC” specifically…good pun that it is, these travel systems actually reflect less than the industry standard for executive travel accommodations, but are of such a quality that a theater commander, a cabinet secretary, or a US Congressman can work, rest, and hold meetings (to include secure communications capability) in an environment that also appropriately represents the responsibilities, authority and requirements of senior U.S. government representatives. The SLICC is not a “comfort” capsule—it is a conference capsule, named such because it provides an environment in which senior leaders can hold private conversations, accomplish work of both timely and sensitive nature, conduct meetings with staff, and rest while the aircraft is en-route.
    Actually, it's not the Air Force's response that makes me think this story is overblown (and in at least one case inaccurate), but the documents the story is based on. I've gone through the documents, posted on POGO website, and I must admit, it's weak soup. I strongly encourage everyone to check out the documents for themselves. Most of the e-mails revolve around routine fixes to things that don't work, like seatbelts that are too short, etc. As for one issue -- that the brown be swapped for blue -- the reason, according to the e-mail, was to match the interior of the rest of the plane, not to match the Air Force's color (gray was another option provided).

Council Member

You know, being a Grunt was probably a mistake after all. Instead of living like an animal, hurting and exhausted, half-starved, seriously sleep-deprived, and way out in the boons, I could have joined the Air Force and eaten like a king, slept between clean sheets, and been able to head off the the pub anytime I liked during off-hours.

Guess I wasn't smart enough to be Air Force.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post
    You know, being a Grunt was probably a mistake after all. Instead of living like an animal, hurting and exhausted, half-starved, seriously sleep-deprived, and way out in the boons, I could have joined the Air Force and eaten like a king, slept between clean sheets, and been able to head off the the pub anytime I liked during off-hours.
    I remember being on exercise one typically damp BC evening, sitting in my nice warm radio truck (amply supplied with hot chocolate and "relocated" vanilla pudding cups), hearing all the net traffic from the grunts trying to sleep in the rain--and thinking much the same thing, Norfolk

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    I remember being on exercise one typically damp BC evening, sitting in my nice warm radio truck (amply supplied with hot chocolate and "relocated" vanilla pudding cups), hearing all the net traffic from the grunts trying to sleep in the rain--and thinking much the same thing, Norfolk
    I loathe you Sigs types.

Default Just remember...

it's all warm and comfy inside, especially when the HEAT round comes in!
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

And quoted from the Georgia South Ossetia Thread

For Entropy

Quote:
    Unchallenged air power was Russia's trump card

By Tom Lasseter | McClatchy Newspapers

TIRDZNISI, Georgia — The Russian fighter jet screamed low to the earth and peeled off so quickly that the bomb wasn't visible until it hit the ground. The explosion shook everything and sent a shower of debris flying over the head of a young Georgian soldier.

The soldier, lying against an embankment on the side of the road, shouted in a panicked voice for everyone to stay still. His palms were flat on the dirt in front of him. "It's Russian MiGs," the soldier said, his eyes wide.

For three days, Russian jets and bombers have unleashed a massive aerial campaign against Georgian forces that, more than anything, dramatically changed the war's direction.

Until Russian jets showed up, Georgian tanks and infantry looked to be on their way to defeating rebel forces in Tskhinvali, the capital of the breakaway province of South Ossetia.

Default Also from the S. Ossetia discussion

(N)o one should be surprised if we see this cited in the future as an example of the "Ten Propositions Regarding Air Power", especially "Whoever controls the air. generally controls the surface" and "Air power is primarily offiensive".
    (From "Georgia's South Ossetia Conflict")

Upon reflection, this conflict may become a seminal case study for students of air power. Usually, I'm in the peanut gallery, but by the vagaries of fate have been thrust into this discussion, and am still trying to figure out how this happened.

For example, Geogia found out that airframes on the ground are as useful as altitude above you...

I'd really like to dig into the Georgian air defense system that has apparently had a small measure of success.

From RIA Novosti's Opinion and Analysis covering the Russian press

Russian army needs overhauling

"Only the Su-24 is capable of flying at night, the rest of our aircraft are totally blind in the dark," said Alexander Khramchikhin, an analyst at the Institute of Political and Military Analysis. "Unmanned aerial vehicles remain our unfulfilled dream."

Experts say the crash of a Russian Tu-22 bomber in the conflict area was due to a Russian technical deficiency. The bomber is designed to deliver nuclear strikes from great heights, and its bombs are allowed to stray by as much as 1.5 kilometers . To make conventional bombs effective in these conditions, the plane must either be equipped with high-precision weapons, which Russia lacks, or descend and risk exposure to anti-aircraft fire.
    Last edited by Stan; 08-13-2008 at 09:08 AM.
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Interesting. The Libyan TU22 that bombed Omdurman while I was there in 84 wallowed in at 500 feet using the Nile as a beacon to drop 4x 1000 pounders. As this occurred on a Friday, the staff college was out and so were the Sudanese Air Defenders--whose electrical powered 100mm guns were out of action due to fuel and generator problems. So 24 years later this platform is still flying under a similar performance envelope.

Best

Tom

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    Interesting. The Libyan TU22 that bombed Omdurman while I was there in 84 wallowed in at 500 feet using the Nile as a beacon to drop 4x 1000 pounders. As this occurred on a Friday, the staff college was out and so were the Sudanese Air Defenders--whose electrical powered 100mm guns were out of action due to fuel and generator problems. So 24 years later this platform is still flying under a similar performance envelope.

Best

Tom
    Different Tu-22, I think. The Tu-22 used by the Libyans, (also used to bomb Kampala) were "Blinders". I think the one lost in Georgia was a Tu-22M or "Backfire"
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Owen View Post
    Different Tu-22, I think. The Tu-22 used by the Libyans, (also used to bomb Kampala) were "Blinders". I think the one lost in Georgia was a Tu-22M or "Backfire"
    Correct but based off same airframe, one with swept wings (Tu22) and one with swing wings (Tu22M). That was the reason the Tu22 in Omdurman wallowed so at 500 feet flying slow. Interesting that even with swept wings a Blinder seems to have a high altitude high speed or a low altitude slow speed profile (at least in interpreting the news report).
    Tom

Council Member

Thanks Tom,

I just popped in as I'm in the middle of a cross-country move and finally am at a campground with WIFI access. I've missed the Olympics and this whole Georgia-SO-Russia thing completely. I may be able to make a more informed comment about the air aspect once I get settled in my new place in a week or so.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Has anyone got any good or reliable breakdown on the Georgian Forces?
    Last edited by William F. Owen; 08-14-2008 at 06:42 AM. Reason: I will give no such reason. It is my right!
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Retired brass condemn Russia's early ending of hostilities against Georgia

RIA Novosti, Opinion and Analysis

General of the Army Anatoly Kornukov, ...lists miscalculations and troops' inadequate training for hostilities. In his view, "the crew of the Tu-22 that was shot down over Georgia were sent to their death," because no timely steps were taken to identify Georgia's aid defenses.

General of the Army Makhmut Gareyev ...believes that "the short-lived act of Georgian aggression has brought to light all the painful defects in the training and battle management of our troops, as well as in decision-making in a military period."

The former deputy chief of the General Staff believes that in the opening hours of the conflict the Russian political leadership was over-hesitant and the generals should have taken the initiative in their hands:

"When guns, in this case Georgian multiple rockets, scream and roar, it is truly bad form to wait for instructions from higher-ups: it is necessary to strike immediately at enemy bases and firing positions.

It is the ABC of warfare."
    If you want to blend in, take the bus