Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Combat optics, iron sights and you

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have no first hand knowledge but when I suggested trying one of them to my company SGM he told me that some of them have a problem in that when you change the magnification, the reticle moves. Zeroed at 1 power may not be zeroed at 4 power.

SFC W

Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    I have no first hand knowledge but when I suggested trying one of them to my company SGM he told me that some of them have a problem in that when you change the magnification, the reticle moves. Zeroed at 1 power may not be zeroed at 4 power.

SFC W
    I don't know about that particular scope. Leopold has a well-deserved rep for quality. Trujicon I have not tried. But the issue of shifting points of impact is a common one for variable power scopes and one that should be tested on any variable regardless of make. Most quality scopes have consistent impact points; I have seen others (including expensive makes) do so. I would say that my experience is that it is an individual scope issue, hence the caution to test each scope. Makes sense anyway as it is comforting to know ahead of time that zooming in or zooming out will not move point of impact to any significant degree.

Tom

Council Member

I've been able to use the M68 and its commercial derivatives to do quite a bit on the flat range.

They work well, if you use them properly.

As jcustis said, the fundamentals still matter. Shooters tend to get sloppy with RDS' because they are so much easier to use. You have to constantly work on the basics.

RDS' will make you a lot faster. A lot.

As for shooting in a house, when I use irons to go through a kill house it slows me down a lot, but I get slightly better hits. I use the front sight base to index; I don't use the rear at all. At that distance it doesn't really matter that much.

Many Soldiers don't know how to use the M68 and are full of all kinds of bull#### about it. But that is in part because most Soldiers haven't been properly instructed n the basics of mechanical offset, trajectory and the like, and because inferior mounting equipment can get in the way of being able to properly use the gear.

Just my two cents.