Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Dlpt 5

  1. #1
    Council Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,098

    Default Dlpt 5

    Statement put out on 6 Jul 07 via the Linguist Knowledge Network:
    This is a reminder that as the DLPT5 is released in various languages it becomes the DoD approved test of record for that language. Although the Office of the Secretary of Defense granted a 12 month implementation period for each language which allows us to recertify previous test results instead of a Soldier's first DLPT5 score, this is a one time grace period.
    Soldiers who have scored sub 2/2 on the DLPT5 must complete remedial training.

    Units need to relook their language programs to ensure the training is geared to the DLPT5. There are multiple sources of authentic materials available to help Soldiers prepare for the test. These include, but are not limited to, Mobile Training Teams (MTTs) from DLIFLC, SCOLA, on-line resources, newspapers, DLPT5 Familiarization Guides, etc. Please check with your Command Language Program Managers (CLPM) to coordinate materials and training.

    Success depends on early preparation.
    This type of statement always kills me, Units need to relook their language programs to ensure the training is geared to the DLPT5. Its the implication that we train linguists to pass a test, not meet operational mission requirements.

    Hopefully, the new version will be a bit closer to mission, but in any case, Arabic will always be problematic because of the MSA vs dialect issue.

  2. #2
    Council Member Tom Odom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    DeRidder LA
    Posts
    3,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh View Post
    Statement put out on 6 Jul 07 via the Linguist Knowledge Network:

    This type of statement always kills me, Units need to relook their language programs to ensure the training is geared to the DLPT5. Its the implication that we train linguists to pass a test, not meet operational mission requirements.

    Hopefully, the new version will be a bit closer to mission, but in any case, Arabic will always be problematic because of the MSA vs dialect issue.

    Now, mate, you know we can always use a phraselator...

  3. #3
    Council Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom
    Now, mate, you know we can always use a phraselator...
    ...Tom, as a HUMINTer, that tech nonsense has got to be my pet peeve - or maybe the hot iron in my eyeball evertime I think about it. I guess the "phraselator" is what DA was pondering when they did away with the language requirement for HUMINT Collectors in the middle of a war. I certainly understood the need to respond to the demand - but how the hell is more HUMINT supposed to be of operational benefit when none of'em speak the damn language of the indig they're collecting on?!

    So what did DA accomplish by increasing slots while cutting back on abilities? They've put a lot more "HUMINT" on the ground, and then by their lack of effective skills ended up teaching a lot of people the wrong lessons. We've taught cherry HUMINTers the wrong lessons about effective employment of their skills in a combat environment, and we've taught commanders the wrong lessons about the proper employment and true operational value of HUMINT against the bad guys. Except for those lucky few on either side of the equation who are/or have access to capable HUMINTers with solid Arabic (or Pashtu, or Dari) language skills - and even that is colored by the backwash of the above.

    Thanks, Tom. I'll slam my head on the desk once or twice after I post this.

  4. #4
    Council Member Tom Odom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    DeRidder LA
    Posts
    3,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh View Post
    ...Tom, as a HUMINTer, that tech nonsense has got to be my pet peeve - or maybe the hot iron in my eyeball evertime I think about it. I guess the "phraselator" is what DA was pondering when they did away with the language requirement for HUMINT Collectors in the middle of a war. I certainly understood the need to respond to the demand - but how the hell is more HUMINT supposed to be of operational benefit when none of'em speak the damn language of the indig they're collecting on?!

    So what did DA accomplish by increasing slots while cutting back on abilities? They've put a lot more "HUMINT" on the ground, and then by their lack of effective skills ended up teaching a lot of people the wrong lessons. We've taught cherry HUMINTers the wrong lessons about effective employment of their skills in a combat environment, and we've taught commanders the wrong lessons about the proper employment and true operational value of HUMINT against the bad guys. Except for those lucky few on either side of the equation who are/or have access to capable HUMINTers with solid Arabic (or Pashtu, or Dari) language skills - and even that is colored by the backwash of the above.

    Thanks, Tom. I'll slam my head on the desk once or twice after I post this.
    Trust me, my desk is dented too. I share an office with a Natick type who worked the phraselator...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •