Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
Homilies and Recreations by John Buchan 1926
An interesting choice of authority. Here are some career highlights for the 1st Baron Tweedsmuir PC GCMG GCVO CH, from Wikipedia.

Buchan then enlisted in the British Army and was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the Intelligence Corps, where he wrote speeches and communiqus for Sir Douglas Haig. Recognised for his abilities, Buchan was appointed as the Director of Information in 1917, under the Lord Beaverbrooka job that Buchan said was "the toughest job I ever took on" and also assisted Charles Masterman in publishing a monthly magazine that detailed the history of the war, the first edition appearing in February 1915 (and later published in 24 volumes as Nelson's History of the War).
and as Governor General of Canada,
Buchan's experiences during the First World War made him averse to conflict, he tried to help prevent another war in coordination with United States president Franklin D. Roosevelt and Mackenzie King.
But he apparently sold out and
authorised Canada's declaration of war against Germany in September, shortly after the British declaration of war and with the consent of King George; and, thereafter, issued orders of deployment for Canadian soldiers, airmen, and seamen as the titular commander-in-chief of the Canadian armed forces.
Talk about your moral courage or fortitude . . .Seems like a "do as I say, not as I do" kind of guy.