Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
So people who enlist into the infantry don't do so for the education benefits or the adventure?
I don't figure so, not primarily. A dental tech gets education and if the dental tech goes to Germany to do some teching that can be viewed as plenty adventurous depending on the person. Infantry guys it seems to me, those who volunteer anyway, want to fight. There is a whopping difference.

Not according to the enlistment data. Sure, I bet some do, and if you were to ask any servicemember if patriotism was important, they would answer in the affirmative; but on the whole, people enlist primarily for the 5 reasons I listed above. It is MOS immaterial.
Asked and answered above.

According to this thesis, that would be a soldier that fits this profile:

For the purposes of the linked thesis, "combat troop" includes infantry, armor, field artillery, combat engineers, and air defense artillery. Seeing how women cannot join combat arms (infantry, armor, artillery), it renders your point false.
Boy talk about cherry picking stats!

But beyond that you lost me. Since women aren't in combat arms (infantry, armor, artillery) by which I assume you mean combat MOSs, does it mean when the thesis says "combat troop" people in any old MOS serving in say the 4th Infantry Division or does it mean in Combat Service troops or Combat Support Service troops or what?