Fascinating discussion, and one I heard earlier today at work. Personally, i think COL McMaster will make a great G.O. Notice I used "will" not "would". McMaster didn't get picked up BZ for O-7, that does not mean that he "won't" get picked up fo O-7. Regrettably, I believe that McMaster didn't get picked this go round for some of the reasons that were enumerated in earlier posts. That being said, I think that the next promotion board will select him. I think the lesson from this isn't as cut and dry as many view it. It is easy to contend that McMaster as a iconoclastic visionary who has spoken out and been "wronged" by those who continue to subscribe to the vision he has tried to shatter/upset, and perhaps it is that simple, and it would make many of us comfortable in that we "know" the enemy we would face if /when we were to pursue similar arguments. Regrettably, I think McMaster got passed over for something as simple an petty as professional jealousy. Here is a guy who has gotten it right in the last two major conflicts that we have fought, Desert Storm and Iraq. He has shown himself able to understand, adapt, and succeed in two very diverese military situations on top of being a best selling author. McMaster was probably passed over by people on a board who feel more threatened by the actions he has taken over his career, than the speaking of his opinion that he has done. Yeah, "they" might justify their decision based on some of his staements, but they are probably as threatened by his success as anything else. My $.02.