Thread: US Engagement with Religion in Conflict-Prone Settings

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Former Member George L. Singleton's Avatar

Default Appreciate your word change & adroit

analysis.

Trying to talk "politics" with university and high school age Pukhtuns invariably is to the majority them "talking religion."

Your implication is that we Westerners have the burden to bending over backwards to accommodate them and their unusual beliefs.

I have a problem with this personally, as it offends me in what I believe and practice, religiously, as a [Protestant} Christian. Most I correspond with via both their mainline website and via individual e-mails they sometimes send me on the side, outside their website [my e-mail address is readily avaiable in DAWN.com archives in many letters published there, as well as whenever a letter is published [occasionally even an article is published] in the Peshawar FRONTIER POST.

Mature website respondents/correspondents, as in adult members of Hujra Online.com, have no problem discussing different interpretations from Abraham to current times. But, many youths don't even know their own religious history and having built Islam from and on Judaism and Christianity...my opinion.

Have to admit that when you get into Tillitson et al you are the level of an old friend in Nashville who is a semi-retired egg headed Episcopalian Priest who once taught in seminary.

I am just a simple country Methodist, who was raised as a fundamentalist Southern Baptist in my youth...giving me a Calvanist outlook in a Wesley setting...pretty hairy!

Cheers, and I make so many typos feel free to correct me any time,
    George
    Last edited by George L. Singleton; 02-03-2009 at 01:53 AM.