Thread: The Human Factor by Ishmael Jones

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Explosive new book coming out on the CIA

http://public.cq.com/docs/hs/hsnews1...002933505.html

God help that guy with whats coming for him.
    Last edited by Ken White; 09-11-2008 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread / KW

Council Member

Default There is a thread on Ishmael Jones ...

in Military Art & Science Applied > Intelligence forum at

http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=5832

with quite a bit of relevant discussion (except for my off-topic back and forth with Ken White, which I should have done by PM).

A moderator will probably move your post (& this one) there.

No big sin & keep posting.

The Intelligence forum should have some topics of interest to you, in light of

from Elevation
    My name is John, I'm a 19 year old college student at UMBC in Baltimore.
    After school I hope to be able to join up with either the DIA, CIA, or one of the individual intel branches that support the military services. Probably in an analytical position, but we'll see.
    http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...6211#post56211

If you are looking at analysis or other "home office stuff", plan on a PhD or law degree; keep up the language and area studies; and keep clean.

Same first name here, but I go by Mike (2nd name).

Council Member

Default Now that we have been moved ...

into the right pew, we can address this:

from Elevation
    God help that guy with whats coming for him.
    After reading all prior posts, please tell me:

1. What's coming for him ?

2. But, far more important, your reasoned analysis of why.

First class assignment Intel Law 101

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    into the right pew, we can address this:

After reading all prior posts, please tell me:

1. What's coming for him ?

2. But, far more important, your reasoned analysis of why.

First class assignment Intel Law 101
    Thats a tough question

My professor in my history of Intel class had to have his lecture notes vetted before he could teach the course and I know all current members have to do the same thing whenever they want to write a book or speak in public about the Agency, due to agreements they sign. I imagine that applies to former Agency members as well, but I'm not completely sure. However, I would imagine they definitely have to go through vetting if they want to talk or publish any information regarding classified information or procedures.

I know that the case against Frank Snepp is a landmark case in terms of establishing legal precedent for the government to go after those who publish secrets without agency permission. However, it will probably be worse for Ishmael because he was even told beforehand by the Agency that he couldn't publish about 98% of the things inside the book

At the very least all profits Ishmael makes from the book will be seized and he'll potentially be facing jail time as well.

Am I on the right track at least?

Council Member

What I'm also not sure about Mike, are the penalties the same for writing about classified things in a book as they are for stealing a classified document and distributing it?

Council Member

Default Am I on the right track at least?

Perhaps

Hint: Break down subject into two categories:

1. PRB (some refs in links on page 1) and agency's civil remedies per Snepp case. Google - lots of open source stuff.

2. Fed Criminal Statutes re: classified data - case of alleged Israeli spies in DC is recent. You will find that area something of a quagmire - where outright espionage is not involved. Same Google idea.

I imagine that applies to former Agency members as well, but I'm not completely sure.
    Answer is in links - along with known exceptions. Sources and methods can be deadly to some of our own people or their agents, even if the data is 30-40 years old. X > Y > Z.

At the very least all profits Ishmael makes from the book will be seized and he'll potentially be facing jail time as well.
    Not necessarily; agency GC may elect not to go civil - DoJ may decide not to prosecute. What's the criteria ?

What I'm also not sure about Mike, are the penalties the same for writing about classified things in a book as they are for stealing a classified document and distributing it?
    You tell me.

Council Member

Perhaps

Hint: Break down subject into two categories:

1. PRB (some refs in links on page 1) and agency's civil remedies per Snepp case. Google - lots of open source stuff.

2. Fed Criminal Statutes re: classified data - case of alleged Israeli spies in DC is recent. You will find that area something of a quagmire - where outright espionage is not involved. Same Google idea.

Answer is in links - along with known exceptions. Sources and methods can be deadly to some of our own people or their agents, even if the data is 30-40 years old. X > Y > Z.

Not necessarily; agency GC may elect not to go civil - DoJ may decide not to prosecute. What's the criteria ?

You tell me.
    JMM,

I'll do a little research and get back to you in a day or two, I got a few other things on my plate at this second. In the meantime I'll be sure not to expose any state secrets.

Council Member

in Military Art & Science Applied > Intelligence forum at

http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=5832

with quite a bit of relevant discussion (except for my off-topic back and forth with Ken White, which I should have done by PM).

A moderator will probably move your post (& this one) there.

No big sin & keep posting.

The Intelligence forum should have some topics of interest to you, in light of

http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...6211#post56211

If you are looking at analysis or other "home office stuff", plan on a PhD or law degree; keep up the language and area studies; and keep clean.

Same first name here, but I go by Mike (2nd name).
    Thanks Mike. All of the different sources of information on this website is amazing.

Council Member

Default Hey Elevation,

see class assignment (post # 20, page 1) - in case you missed it. A little bit of cross-posting, etc.