Thread: Coin and counterdrug ops

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Insurgency in the Hood: Understanding Insurgencies through Urban Gangs

Here's a pretty good thesis from DA at NPS....

Accession Number : ADA451328

Title : Insurgency in the Hood: Understanding Insurgencies Through Urban Gangs

Descriptive Note : Master's thesis

Corporate Author : NAVAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL MONTEREY CA

Personal Author(s) : Evans, Edward R. ; Spies, James R.

Handle / proxy Url : http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/ADA451328 Check NTIS Availability...

Report Date : JUN 2006

Pagination or Media Count : 85

Abstract : Past, current and future military endeavors will invariably involve conflict at the sub-state level. A recurring problem in the study of insurgent conflict is a lack of data that has the breadth, depth, and historical accuracy to provide insight as to why, at the individual level, people participate in insurgency. Accessibility to street gangs provides a comprehensive source of data not seen in insurgencies. Street gangs provide a "ground truth" to the interaction between the state and organized sub-state group in a competition for control. The individuals who fuel both sides of this competition for control are basing decisions to participate in insurgency on a framework founded in rational actor theory, but modified by their perspective of the world. Groups who wish to recruit individuals into their insurgency apply incentives and disincentives selectively to individuals to compel membership. As a group gains more members it can apply more incentives, increasing the rate or future recruitment and level of control over a community. A comprehensive and effective strategy cannot be developed to counter these insurgent forces without answering the fundamental questions behind individual participation first. This thesis examines insurgency from the individual level and proposes concepts that must accompany any attempt to combat rebel groups.

Descriptors : *TACTICAL ANALYSIS, *INSURGENCY, CONTROL, MILITARY HISTORY, MILITARY FORCE LEVELS, URBAN AREAS, THESES, CONFLICT

Subject Categories : UNCONVENTIONAL WARFARE

Distribution Statement : APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE

Search DTIC's Public STINET for similiar documents.

Members of the public may purchase hardcopy documents from the National Technical Information Service.

You'll need access to DTIC to read for free or pay on storming media.

http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=get...fier=ADA451328

v/r

Mike

Default great stuff!

Great stuff, thanks. I will submit the draft document for your comment, mockery, snide remarks and anything else you deem constructive or entertaining. "Never surrender"

Spartan6, link to the SF paper I was talking about. Addresses some of the points you were asking questions about. Uses an older COIN format but has some good stuff in it.

http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cgi-bin/show...ename=1815.pdf

Default Something to consider...

I started considering that gangs and drug wars were simple insurgencies- just different grievances or pursuit of profit.

When you look at it objectively in that manner, it makes sense.

At least to me.

BUT, cops and soldiers are different. Anyone that has had to train Army and Cops knows that. Any soldier that has been arrested understands that.

I don't know how to minimize the gap.

v/r

Mike

Council Member

Default Cops and Soldiers

We're not that different. Patrolmen are akin to Infantry in attitudes and worldview.

Default Necessary Modification

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    I started considering that gangs and drug wars were simple insurgencies- just different grievances or pursuit of profit.

When you look at it objectively in that manner, it makes sense.

At least to me.

BUT, cops and soldiers are different. Anyone that has had to train Army and Cops knows that. Any soldier that has been arrested understands that.

I don't know how to minimize the gap.

v/r

Mike
    I think we're both tracking. There are similarities but there needs to be obvious modification. There are root causes that promote drug use and crime, but there is no desire on the part of the traffickers to create standing armies and overthrow the government. I'm not approaching this as a way to create a militarized police, but more of a way to analyze and develop a holistic, synchronized way to govern bringing multiple assets of the government to bear on the problem.

Default Columbia

ALCON,
    I've heard the Columbians have a very successful amnesty and reintegration program for former FARC memebers. Does anyone have any information on this program? Thanks.
    "Mono Labe"

John Dethlefs

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan6 View Post
    ALCON,
    I've heard the Columbians have a very successful amnesty and reintegration program for former FARC members. Does anyone have any information on this program? Thanks.
    Consolidating Disarmament: Lessons from Colombia’s Reintegration Program for Demobilized Paramilitaries

Individual demobilization and reintegration process in Colombia: implementation, challenges and former combatants’ perspectives

A new start, an open end. The reintegration of individual demobilized combatants in Colombia

Demobilisation of female ex-combatants in Colombia

Business and Reintegration: Cases, experiences and lessons

These last three are all by Kimberly Theidon, a Harvard anthropologist, who's churned out some on the topic in the past few years (although she does repeat herself a bit):

Transitional Subjects: The Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration of Former Combatants in Colombia

Reconstructing Masculinities: The Disarmament, Demobilization, and Reintegration of Former Combatants in Colombia

Transitional Justice in Times of Conflict: Colombia's Ley de Justica y Paz

There's also Demobilization of Paramilitaries in Colombia: Transformation or Transition? in the June 2008 issue of Studies in Conflict and Terrorism - but full text is not available for linkage online.

Finally, not specifically focused on FARC and Colombia, but if you haven't seen it before you may find it useful:

Disarmament Demobilisation and Reintegration: A Practical Field and Classroom Guide