Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Nigeria: the context for violence' (2006-2013)

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingJaja View Post

Secondly, BH needs a permissive environment to operate - they can hide very easily in N. Nigeria, but Hausa-Fulanis stick out like a sore thumb in S. Nigeria (not to you guys, but we can tell the difference in an instant). So, it is extremely easy to pick out suspicious characters.
    I understand that they would stick out and they have a lot to risk by helping or even allow such an attack to take place in Lagos. Yet, it is a huge, tantalizing target, but the eminent worries lay, as you point out, in the north and central belt.

The greatest unknown is how the Christian population in Northern Nigeria will react. The Nigerian Government could secretly train and arm them to put pressure on BH (If you notice, many of the top positions in the Military are occupied by Northern Christians and Southerners).
    The idea of Christians attacking is repulsive to me, but history is replete with such action, even some of the worst. But, people seem to be able to take only so much before they retaliate.

This brings the big question of how would one retaliate against BH? Do Christians in the north know where they are hiding? The government does not seem to know. Or, will they retaliate by hitting Muslim targets (which is quite another matter) like mosques and darasas? Hitting out at Islamic targets in general is sure to hasten a civil war.

Council Member

What is politically possible in Pakistan may not be politically possible in Nigeria. The SEAL team could operate easily in N.Nigeria, but there will be no Pakistani Army to call the nation to order after the fact in this case.

I meant "the temptation of getting involved in N.Nigeria". AQ will feel much safer in N.Nigeria than in Somalia. In Somalia they have the Ethiopians, Kenyans and AU breathing down their necks. They also have the US Spec Ops forces from Djibouti.

It will be politically impossible for the US to operate with the same degree of freedom in N.Nigeria.

Secondly, there is nothing to suggest that Boko Haram will not eventually attack Western targets. Imam Shekau, in his rambling speech signaled his intention to do so, the UN building bombing was a clear indication of that intent. As I said earlier, they are "consolidating their support base" - the Nigerian Police is rightly reviled in most of N.Nigeria and they are seen as "Robin Hood" type figures.

Reports on the ground suggest that they go out of their way to say they are not against the Muslim ummah, but that they are against corrupt politicians, the Police and CAN (Christian Association of Nigeria).

A sure vote winner in those parts.

As I said earlier, Northern Nigeria has never been really pro-American. Not since the 1979 revolution in Iran. It doesn't help that the American/Western footprint in that part of Nigeria has always been very light, so there hasn't been much opportunity to dispel these feelings.

The VOA broadcasts in Hausa, but I doubt whether US policy makers are interested in the message transmitted by VOA. News tends to be general, no real effort at strategic communication.

Well, I read Nigerian newspapers and our newspapers call them terrorists.

Council Member

Chowing,

The intent will not be for Christians to attack Muslims, but to increase the consequences of attacking Christians.

One of the outcomes of the 1991 riots in Kano (in response to a Christian crusade in that city) was that Christians bought guns and barricaded themselves in the Sabon-Gari area of Kano. The levels of violence against Christians in Kano was reduced.

Council Member

http://www.eurasiareview.com/2701201...to-boko-haram/

It was a very different Sahel security summit this week for the foreign ministers of Mali, Mauritania, Algeria, Niger and guest Nigeria.

The countries confirmed the link between al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) and Nigerian terrorist organisation Boko Haram for the first time, pledging Tuesday (January 24th) in Nouakchott to work together against the shared threat to African stability and development.

Bill,
    Nice article (again) by Raby Ould Idoumou. Ever read any of his other collections ? He tends to see terror groups every 600 meters.
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

What is politically possible in Pakistan may not be politically possible in Nigeria. The SEAL team could operate easily in N.Nigeria, but there will be no Pakistani Army to call the nation to order after the fact in this case.
    Assuming it was a political fiasco that most of us think was, it was still a surgical op that lasted less than hours. You concluded they could not operate in Nigeria due to its wealth, education and size - something you recite quite often as a response. I conclude that it would be relatively easy to perform (targeting an individual regardless of which country) which I have seen more times than I care to recant.

Whatever !

I meant "the temptation of getting involved in N.Nigeria". AQ will feel much safer in N.Nigeria than in Somalia. In Somalia they have the Ethiopians, Kenyans and AU breathing down their necks. They also have the US Spec Ops forces from Djibouti.
    That situation took years to fester and the Nigerian neighbors would be equally challenging once it became a pain in the Alpha to deal with under economic and political pressure. And, Nigeria already has USA SOF a lot closer to home than you care to think.

It will be politically impossible for the US to operate with the same degree of freedom in N.Nigeria.
    This assumes that the politicians have yet to agree to such an op. I contend they already have - both parties are in deep Sierra and both (as some seem to conclude) need each other. Talk about perception problems with AFRICOM

Secondly, there is nothing to suggest that Boko Haram will not eventually attack Western targets. Imam Shekau, in his rambling speech signaled his intention to do so, the UN building bombing was a clear indication of that intent. As I said earlier, they are "consolidating their support base" - the Nigerian Police is rightly reviled in most of N.Nigeria and they are seen as "Robin Hood" type figures..
    Most conclude the UN bombing was not performed by the BH bunch and have some theories that sound a little easier to swallow than the BH just being late to claim having done it. No matter - I'm the one that wonders why they have yet to go for easy and higher profile targets with little to no sophistication required. What support base would be required in order to take out a drunk expat on a Friday evening in town ? There's only 25,000 to choose from. All one needs is a hungry 10-year old. Support base ?

As I said earlier, Northern Nigeria has never been really pro-American. Not since the 1979 revolution in Iran. It doesn't help that the American/Western footprint in that part of Nigeria has always been very light, so there hasn't been much opportunity to dispel these feelings.
    There's 25,000 Yanks there pumping oil - light footprint ? Are you joking ?

The VOA broadcasts in Hausa, but I doubt whether US policy makers are interested in the message transmitted by VOA. News tends to be general, no real effort at strategic communication.
    You got me there... I've never listened to the VOA and have no clue who funds their broadcasts. I have however worked with CA and PSYOP types and never had a clue what they were doing in Sub-Sahara.

Well, I read Nigerian newspapers and our newspapers call them terrorists.
    Let's just go to the Saturday Tribune or This Day Online for example and do a quick search for just the word "terrorist". Nothing. Most of all your papers call them: Boko Haram sect

I've mentioned this several times to you herein about your own news afraid of the T word. Why would the Americans have to classify them as said if your folks can't even muster the T word ?

Council Member

There's 25,000 Yanks there pumping oil - light footprint ? Are you joking ?
    There is no oil in Northern Nigeria and hence very few Westerners there. If you've been to Nigeria you'll understand that Nigeria's far North and Nigeria's South are essentially different countries.

I still maintain that it would be politically impossible for the US to operate with the same degree of freedom in Northern Nigeria. Northern Nigeria is not Somalia and any escalation of US involvement would be seen as a triumph of the largely Christian South over the mainly Islamic North.

(Secondly, given the record of the US Military in Afghanistan and Iraq, it is even debatable whether such involvement would be beneficial - that's a topic for another day. I think I know another group of people who can do the job equally well with minimum fuss.)

Even the former US Ambassador to Nigeria understands this fact.

The Northern Islamic elite (who are still very powerful politically - largest single bloc in National Assembly) will oppose it. It will deny them of their political legitimacy.

There's a lot more to the Nigeria media than Thisday and the Tribune. The Punch claims to have the widest readership, there is The Sun, P.M News, The Guardian, Leadership, The Nation, The Vanguard and several other publications.

We must have close to 100 different news publications with new publications being created every other day (and going bust with the same frequency).

You tend to forget that Nigeria is a democracy (albeit imperfect). So people have some latitude to speak their minds. Most of the media is in the South but The Daily Trust is considered the voice of the North.

Quick search of The Sun's website yielded this:

Unfortunately, when idle minds, especially the illiterate ones with a blinkered religious dogma, cultivating evil thoughts converge with criminal tendencies, extremists of worst kinds emerge. Nigeria harbors many people like this whose actions will continue to ignite the inferno that will engulf the nation sooner or later. In addition, Boko Haram terrorists are emboldened by the silence of their alleged highly-placed masterminds, who refused to condemn the killing of Christians. As a result, Nigeria could be characterized as so fractured and heavily enamored of the extreme ethnic and religious terrorists whose nuances and actions are aimed at producing incendiary and destructive outcome. The nation is, indeed, sitting on the edge and grappling with the situation seems elusive.
    http://sunnewsonline.com/webpages/op...-2012-002.html

Council Member

Default Terrorism and Nigeria’s development

From an editorial in The Sun. Proves the news media isn't afraid of the T word. Secondly, not every thing that appears on the news stands in Lagos appears online.

The savage killings and wanton destruction of property that characterised the recent terror attacks in Damaturu, Yobe State, have left a shell shocked nation and many commentators scratching their heads and searching for answers to the Boko Haram phenomenon. The carnage left in its wake over a hundred dead bodies. Charred remains of vehicles dotted the streets of Damaturu, and many public buildings went up in smoke. This is not the Nigeria many of us dreamt of or grew up to know.
    http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpage...-2011-008.html

A news story captioned "Negotiating with Boko Haram terrorists" in the The Daily Eagle : http://www.thedailyeagles.com/2012/0...am-terrorists/

Another story captioned Terrorists may bomb Abuja Luxury Hotels in The Guardian. http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index...nal&Itemid=559

Council Member

From The Punch

THE latest onslaught of the violent Islamic terror group, Boko Haram, has once again demonstrated its growing level of sophistication and the danger it poses to the continued existence of Nigeria as a corporate entity. If anyone had doubted Boko Haram’s capacity for blood-curdling carnage, that doubt must have evaporated with last Friday’s coordinated bombings in the northern city of Kano that have so far claimed more than 200 lives and destroyed property worth billions of naira. There cannot be a better time for a government that is fully aware of its responsibilities to its citizens to act decisively to prevent the blood-letting from reaching other parts of the country.
    http://www.punchng.com/editorial/jon...of-boko-haram/

Convinced now?

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

The countries confirmed the link between al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) and Nigerian terrorist organisation Boko Haram for the first time, pledging Tuesday (January 24th) in Nouakchott to work together against the shared threat to African stability and development.
    Are there any reliable descriptions of the nature and extent of these "links"? It's a dangerous word, and often abused. There are all sorts of links possible, some of them tenuous and transient, and governments have a way of talking up AQ "links" as a way to try and persuade the US to throw money at the problem... or at least to throw money at them, since little of the money generally goes to the problem!

Certainly there's potential there for AQ, but I wouldn't want to assume that the potential has translated to an actual presence and actual affiliation without solid evidence. Potential is often not effectively exploitable: AQ's efforts to exploit prolonged sectarian violence in the Philippines, for example, have been ineffective.

There's certainly room for discussion of what AQ could do, as well as what they actually have done and are doing, but it wouldn't do to confuse them, and Americans should be very wary about being drawn into fights on the basis of loosely specified AQ "links".
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Council Member

Just found this article from today's Sahara Reports. Gives further evidence to what Kingjaja has been saying about the northern elites money and BH infiltration in all the security forces and beyond.
    Several top security personnel in Nigeria have exclusively told SaharaReporters on condition of anonymity that the Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad, popularly known as Boko Haram, is multi-billion naira organization.

One source said the extremist Islamist group has a substantial financial base and has invested millions of naira to penetrate Nigeria’s security agencies, obtaining vital and sensitive data. In addition, Boko Haram reportedly is embedded with many other institutions in Nigeria and beyond.

Our sources revealed that the Nigeria police are the institution most penetrated by Boko Haram. “Both President Jonathan and National Security Adviser, Gen. Azazi, have vital reports about Boko Haram’s in-roads in the police and other security outfits,” said one source. He added: “We don’t know why they are not acting.”
    http://saharareporters.com/news-page...ecurity-source

Entire article worth a read.

Not Really !
    With the few exceptions such as
    in whose custody the alleged mastermind of some terrorist acts
    There's little more.

The Daily Eagles, other than the title, just goes into terrorism in general. Sort of a 101 course for idiots.

And, The Guardian gets it about right

However, while the Security Council expressly described the incidents as terrorist attacks, the Secretary-General’s statement appeared to have been restrained, describing them as “armed attacks and bombing.”
    And this one I already sent you under a travel warning - which is fairly boring stuff to keep the DOS from having to say they neglected to mention there could be travel-related problems. Sort of a CYA.

“Radical sect responsible for attacks that left more than 100 people dead in Nigeria this week could bomb three luxury hotels frequented by foreigners in the oil-rich nation’s capital”, the U.S. Embassy warned yesterday.

There is no oil in Northern Nigeria and hence very few Westerners there. If you've been to Nigeria you'll understand that Nigeria's far North and Nigeria's South are essentially different countries.
    I must have misunderstood you slightly when you said a light footprint. I was speaking in generalities for the entire country. But, if BH in fact did bomb the UN building, then they are obviously ready to cross into the South for operations. That would mean it is relatively easy to work on kidnapping and killing. You also indicated that we don't really know who the BH are and to what extent they have infiltrated the government and military. I would take that to mean the BH are already in the Southern region.

I still maintain that it would be politically impossible for the US to operate with the same degree of freedom in Northern Nigeria. Northern Nigeria is not Somalia and any escalation of US involvement would be seen as a triumph of the largely Christian South over the mainly Islamic North.
    Fair enough. My point was only that your current administration has most likely already concluded agreements with Western governments and as these things go, they are open ended with a ton of room for expansion and misconception.

(Secondly, given the record of the US Military in Afghanistan and Iraq, it is even debatable whether such involvement would be beneficial - that's a topic for another day. I think I know another group of people who can do the job equally well with minimum fuss.)

Even the former US Ambassador to Nigeria understands this fact.
    I completely agree with you. I was merely responding to your comment on the presence of SOF in the region.

The Northern Islamic elite (who are still very powerful politically - largest single bloc in National Assembly) will oppose it. It will deny them of their political legitimacy.
    Not sure if that would matter - assuming Goodluck Johnathan has already given the green light to cooperate in anti-terrorism ops.

We must have close to 100 different news publications with new publications being created every other day (and going bust with the same frequency).

You tend to forget that Nigeria is a democracy (albeit imperfect). So people have some latitude to speak their minds. Most of the media is in the South but The Daily Trust is considered the voice of the North.
    I am well aware of the fact Nigeria is a democracy and having latitude to speak freely is part of that freedom. What I didn't know was which daily papers tend to be "pro-north" and "pro/south". A good point ! I would (perhaps wrongfully) assume that a pro-north news publication would be promoting BH as terrorists - again assuming BH wants to even be labelled as such. Have they even outright called themselves terrorists ?

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

One source said the extremist Islamist group has a substantial financial base and has invested millions of naira to penetrate Nigeria’s security agencies, obtaining vital and sensitive data. In addition, Boko Haram reportedly is embedded with many other institutions in Nigeria and beyond.

Our sources revealed that the Nigeria police are the institution most penetrated by Boko Haram. “Both President Jonathan and National Security Adviser, Gen. Azazi, have vital reports about Boko Haram’s in-roads in the police and other security outfits,” said one source. He added: “We don’t know why they are not acting.”
    These references to "our sources" and "one source" are suspect and devalue the conclusions, I'd think. Is it not possible that these sources - and possibly those who publish their comments - have vested interests in promoting certain points of view? Not that any of what they suggest is impossible, but I'd hesitate to grant unquestioning belief to items so poorly sourced and supported.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Council Member

I must have misunderstood you slightly when you said a light footprint. I was speaking in generalities for the entire country. But, if BH in fact did bomb the UN building, then they are obviously ready to cross into the South for operations. That would mean it is relatively easy to work on kidnapping and killing. You also indicated that we don't really know who the BH are and to what extent they have infiltrated the government and military. I would take that to mean the BH are already in the Southern region.
    The UN building is in Abuja, Abuja is in Northern Nigeria. Abuja has a predominantly Muslim indigenous population. (I have lived in Abuja).

Boko Haram will find it extremely difficult to cross the river. Unlike, Uganda and Kenya where Al Shabab can do a little bombing and get away with little consequences, any attempt by BH to do something similar in the Niger Delta will result in massive retaliation killings (probably with the tacit support of senior Niger Delta politicians).

There are also logistical considerations. You've got to travel at least 800 km (or possibly longer) to get there. You can't set up shop in a day.

You've also got to have safe houses within the Hausa community in the Niger Delta. Unlike the West, Africans are communal. You don't have new entrants in closely-knit communities without everyone having clue as to what is going on.

It is not likely that the Hausa community in the Niger Delta will tolerate the presence of BH elements in their midst - they understand the consequences. This is why it has been relatively easier to capture "Boko Haram suspects" in Southern Nigeria.

Secondly, the rank and file of the Nigerian Army is largely from the North and Muslim. So Jonathan may not really be comfortable with the tools at his disposal. He has made sure that the upper echelons are dominated by Southerners and Christians, the next logical step is likely to be massive recruitment of Southerners and people from the Middle Belt into the Army (25% of this years budget is being allocated to security - he has the funds to do that). When that is done, he will have an Army he is confident in using.

In the interim, he still needs to listen to the Northern elite.

Pro-North publications will not promote BH as a "terrorist organisation". That makes US involvement more, not less likely.

Council Member

Default US weighs response as extremist group expands reach across Nigeria

Article from the "Stars and Stripes" about BH and US response. Seems to be some confusion as to what to do. John Campbell (who is widely reviled in Nigeria's South and seen as a lackey of powerful Northern politicians), naturally opposes US involvement. The others are not quite sure.

STUTTGART, Germany — A series of high-profile attacks in Nigeria in recent weeks that claimed scores of lives appear to be focused on fueling instability and mistrust between the country’s Christian and Muslim communities, and there is growing concern that the Islamic extremist group Boko Haram could be extending its reach and establishing links with other terrorist groups.

According to Human Rights Watch, more than 253 people were killed in the first three weeks of 2012, including 185 killed in a series of attacks in the northern city of Kano, the nation’s second largest.

“Many of the attacks in the past month have specifically targeted Christians and southern Nigerians living in the north,” Human Rights Watch said.

ADVERTISEMENT
    But there is growing concern that Boko Haram could be seeking ties with other terrorist groups, making it a potential threat beyond the borders of Nigeria.

A recent United Nations report on development in West Africa warned of “growing concern in the region about possible linkages between Boko Haram and al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb,” an al-Qaida affiliated group in north Africa.

The U.S. House of Representatives subcommittee on homeland security also recommended in its own report that the U.S. increase its support for Nigerian counterterrorism efforts.

“It is critical that the U.S. work more closely with Nigerian security forces to develop greater domestic intelligence collection and sharing with the U.S. Intelligence Community,” stated the House report, titled “Boko Haram: Emerging Threat to the U.S. Homeland.” “Military cooperation is vital to a successful counterterrorism strategy.”

However, experts on the region caution that closer alignment of the U.S. with Nigerian security forces — which experts say are in need of major reform and are known for brutality against civilians in the Muslim-dominated north — could shift the focus of a locally oriented extremist group into a jihadist movement that sees the U.S. as its enemy. It also could generate more popular support for Boko Haram among much of Nigeria’s Muslim population, experts caution.

“In so far as the U.S. becomes identified with those security services, you are turning popular sentiment in an anti-American direction,” said John Campbell, a Nigeria expert at the Council on Foreign Relations. “[Boko Haram] rhetoric is very far away from al-Qaida rhetoric. While it’s quite a big threat to security in Nigeria, it’s not to the United States.”
    http://www.stripes.com/news/us-weigh...geria-1.167077

I think this argument is quite academic. There is a government in Abuja, and specific demands are likely to be made by that government - these demands will depend on how that government perceives the evolving threats. The USG will either accept or reject these demands.

It is unlikely that the Nigerian Army will change its modus operandi and the Nigerian Army does not meekly accept all the orders sent to it by its civilian overlords (not quite the Pakistan Military but not US mil-civilian relationship either). It might seek the services of other military services that play the brutal crackdown game.

Council Member

Default Boko Haram threatens to attack Sokoto

Sokoto is in the North-West. It is a very significant Muslim city - the seat of the Sokoto caliphate. The Sultan of Sokoto is seen as the leader of the Muslim community in Nigeria.

MAIDUGURI – ABUL-Qaqa, the spokesman of the Jama’atu Ahlis Sunnati Lidda’awati Wal Jihad, also known as Boko Haram, yesterday, alleged that security agents have arrested “many” of its members in Sokoto and called for their immediate release.

He however, urged senior citizens in Sokoto and other neighbouring states to intervene in order to avert the replication of what he described as “the big attack in Kano State.”

Qaqa, who spoke to journalists on phone yesterday said: “This is an open letter to the emir of Sokoto (Sultan of Sokoto) Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar 111, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Alhaji Aminu Tambuwal and the Acting Governor of Sokoto State.

“Before we visited Kano, we wrote open letter to senior citizens there on the imperative of releasing our members but nobody cares to talk. Indeed, we sent three warnings to Kano before we strike,” Qaqa said.
    http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/w...mbuwal-others/

I think this argument is quite academic.
    Since we're both still learning, a few observations on the S&S. They do not enjoy freedom of the press and they also tend to stand that thin gray line leaving you with no opinion.

They are not a source of information - more like a disinformation campaign.

Council Member

Default The Nigerian press uses the term "terrorist"

Look at this article:http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/14...caliphate.html

The terrorist group named Boko Haram has threatened attacks on Sokoto State if some of its members arrested there are not immediately released by the security agencies.

The Islamic group called on the Sultan of Sokoto and the speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, to intervene or risk throwing the state into a tragedy similar to that of Kano.

Penultimate Friday, the sect bombed many police stations, offices of the State Security Service and Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) in Kano. leaving over 200 innocent people dead.

The terrorists claimed that the authorities in Kano State failed to heed their warning.

The spokesman of the sect, Abul Qaqa, warned neighbouring states to also mediate with a view to averting a replication of what he described as “the big attack in Kano State”.

In a telephone interview with some journalists in Abuja, he said: “This is an open letter to the Emir of Sokoto (Sultan of Sokoto) Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III, the speaker of the House of Representatives, Alhaji Aminu Tambuwal, and the acting governor of Sokoto State, Alhaji Lawali Zayana.

“Before we visited Kano, we wrote an open letter to senior citizens there on the imperative of releasing our members, but nobody cared. Indeed, we sent three warnings to Kano before we struck.

“What happened in Kano will be inevitable in Sokoto unless you (Sultan and others) intervene and ensure the immediate and unconditional release of our members who were specifically arrested in the city of Sokoto on Thursday.”

He faulted the call for dialogue by President Goodluck Jonathan. “There is gross inconsistency in all the proclamations of the Nigerian leader. Our members are being trailed and killed on one hand, and, on the other hand, some people are telling us to surrender our arms and come out. This is impossible,” he said.
    I don't think the word "terrorist" is of much significance here. Nigerians understand what these people are up to and as they become more prominent that word will be more widely used.

In the heat of the Niger Delta crisis, there was an argument as to whether the word terrorist or militant was more appropriate. Many argued that since their demands were legitimate that militant was most appropriate. On the other hand, BH hadn't done anything spectacular until it attacked the Police HQ at Abuja last year.

An organisation that has gone out of its way to adopt the modus operandi of AQ is clearly terrorist.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 01-29-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Add link

Council Member

Default We Will Defend Ourselves, Churches, Homes – Pastor Adeboye

This statement comes from the most respected Christian leader in Nigeria:http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/14...r_adeboye.html

Anyone who understands Nigeria appreciates the significance of this statement.

At last, the highly respected Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye has broken his silence over the incessant attack on Christians, their homes and places of worship by the Boko Haram, an Islamic sect in the North Eastern part of the country.

Several homes and churches had been burnt and Christians have been killed in their hundreds by the sect and the most unforgettable one was the attack on the worshippers at a Roman Catholic Church in Mandalla, Niger state where no fewer than 48 lives have been confirmed dead.

The Cleric, who is the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) has read a Riot Act to the sect warning its members to stop attacking Christians, their homes and churches or face the consequences. “We are not allowed to burn mosques or kill people of other religious beliefs but d Bible says we are allowed to Defend ourselves, churches, homes. ‘Be gentle as a dove but Wise as a Serpent’", Adeboye posted on his Face Book wall yesterday.

This position tallies with the resolve of the Christian leaders in the North who met recently in Abuja where they vowed never to attack anyone but tasked their members to defend themselves, their homes and the churches against any further attack.

At the meeting a fire-spitting cleric (name withheld) whose church is located in Area One, Abuja was asked to teach on the position of the Bible on religious intolerance.

The Pastor, according to an eye witness, took his audience from the Old Testament to the New where he cited how Christians were able to defend themselves against any unprovoked attack.

“We need to remind these murderers that Jesus, our Lord and Saviour, is both the Lamb of God who took away our sins and the Lion of the tribe of Judah. He is the Lamb to us but Lion against our foes. And more importantly, the roaring of a lion is purposely for the territorial protection. We used to run before but henceforth we run no more,” the Pastor decleared.
    One of the things holding Nigerian together right now is the remarkable restraint of the Christian community in spite of extreme provocation. We sometimes take it for granted, but unlike the Copts of Egypt, Nigerian Christians are not a minority.

And they are unlikely to behave like one when pushed to the wall. This thing is getting extremely serious.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 01-29-2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Add link