View Poll Results: Your trust in Congress?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very trustful – they “get it” and are doing their best to insure our national interests.

1 3.13%
  • Leary – They mean well, but get bogged down in the bureaucracy of day to day business.

4 12.50%
  • Damn - I’m not sure, but they really do not seem to “get it”.

7 21.88%
  • Lock them all up – I don’t trust them as an organization as far as I could throw them.

20 62.50%

Thread: In Congress I Trust

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default In Congress I Trust

Rate your trust in our Congress - specifically on national defense and foreign policy issues.

Council Member

Just to clarify, I voted for "Lock them up - I don’t trust them as an organization as far as I could throw them." But I only agree with the second half of that. Locking them up seems a bit much. There is no law against being a disgraceful human being.

There is no law against being a disgraceful human being.
    If there was - Congress would enact it and I can comfortably guess that they would be exempt - maybe as a rider on a pay raise bill? I’m not naïve, but the latest Congressional shenanigans have left me fuming.

Council Member

What in particular? I mean, I can think of nothing that they have done recently that I am pleased with and generally everything that they do disgusts me - but nothing recently sticks out in my mind as being abnormal.

Council Member

Default There are 435

Reps plus about 5 so-called non-voting delegates who vote on committees including the Committee of the Whole and 100 Senators and you want me to rate the whole darn institution with only those choices!!!!

Some get it, some don't. Most are well meaning, some are absoultely venal. Some are very bright, others dumber than whale s**t. None of these categories are mutually exclusive.

The institution was created the way it is to be inefficient. But it still has the power to change the players (and therefore the rules) in ways that neither the executive nor the judiciary can - that is if they can get their act together. Consider the impeachment process and Richard Nixon, his resignation forced, contrasted with the impeachment of Bill Clinton who was handily acquitted by the Senate. But, of course, you also have the impeachment and conviction of Judge Alcee Hastings and the current service in the House of Congressman Alcee Hastings - go figure.

Cheers

JohnT

Council Member

Saw this posted recently in the comment section of the USNI Blog...

Of all the six frigates, Congress had the least notable career in comparison to her sister ships and was unceremoniously broken up in 1834. - via Wikipedia
    That's like naming a ship after the Titanic or Benedict Arnold. Bad Karma. What did they expect?

Council Member

It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except Congress.
    - Mark Twain

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by John T. Fishel View Post
    Some get it, some don't. Most are well meaning, some are absoultely venal. Some are very bright, others dumber than whale s**t. None of these categories are mutually exclusive.
    Not intended as a gotcha question, but could someone point out a few of the individuals who fit into the categories of "getting it" and/or "well meaning"? I know there are some who may have a reputation for either of those, though a "reputation" may not equate to actually epitomizing either. I am sure that someone with a military installation in their district is regarded as "getting it" by many, but they are probably just parochial whores. There are others with military backgrounds who are probably assumed to get it just by having served. Again, I can think of a few individuals for whom that would be very misleading.

I'm just curious, which individuals, if any, get respect from people who have a better understanding of the budgetary/legislative process. Who are the Congress Critters who actually DO good, rather than just making it look like they do good. I'm sure there are one or two of them, but I have no idea who.

I voted "They do not get it" because I'm not sure if they are all complete villains or if some are just incredibly stupid and ineffectual. Clearly, some level of corruption is implicit in legislative service but I have to believe some actually think they are doing the right thing... Right?
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen