Thread: Pakistani Army commentary

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    http://www.saag.org/papers24/paper2399.html

This makes interesting reading and downplays the ISI role as he was / is a Musharraf appointee. Happy reading.

davidbfpo
    I concur that it is interesting reading. Besides the downplay of the ISI post you mentioned, also conspicuous by its absence is any mention of his role during the India-Pakistan crisis as described here.

Default Calming two militaries?

I'd say the absence of the Kargil episode, when India and Pakistani's confrontation went lethal up in the mountains, in the Indian analysts piece, indicates this episode is being hidden. It serves both nation's interests to play down the history of confrontation and preserve peace.

I recall a public briefing in London, where a Pakistani general stated the local forces, i.e. para-miltary and local garrisons, could not cope with demands to confront militants. Higher grade troops, up to 80,000, were re-deployed from the Indian border.

If Pakistan was to take military action in NWFP and elsewhere having a calm border with India is required. More likely is the need to deploy the army for the forthcoming general election.

Back to my armchair

davidbfpo