Quote Originally Posted by KingJaja View Post
Boko Haram is many things, it is a:

1. Jihadist movement/terrorist organisation.
2. A vehicle to challenge the dominance of the Northern elite.
3. A source of identification for many unemployed, under-educated Northern Muslim youths.

Meanwhile, Boko Haram taps into another source of tension, the rapid expansion of Evangelical Christianity in Northern Nigeria. This has led a series of conflicts and the prospect of the World's first Evangelical Christian militant organisation Akwat Akwop.

We need to sit down and renegotiate the basis for nationhood - and time is running out fast, a generation with no memories of the Nigerian Civil War is assuming positions of leadership.
Thanks for the great background summary. Very helpful.

I agree (as if that matters) with your assessment of what "Boko Haram is" today.

The clashes between Christians and Muslims has indeed been around for some time in northern Nigeria. Both groups have committed horrendous atrocities. It is my understanding, correct me if I am off, that the press often calls these Christians and Muslim clashes but they are really clashes between various ethnic groups. I understand fully, and have experienced first hand that ethnicity plays a major role in society and politics in Africa.

Can you please enlighten us more on the Akwat Akwop group. I have not heard of them before.