Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
Let me see if I can steer this thread in a slightly different direction: why do we need separate parachute and air assault units?

Give parachute units the organic lift they need (or "marry" each parachute brigade with an aviation brigade in garrison per Col. MacGregor), train the troopers in air assault ops, and call it good to go. A lot of this already occurs anyway. I never went to air assault school, yet airmoble operations were routine in my battalion and I had periodic classes in basic rappelling and pathfinder ops.
We don't need to separate them. I'm pretty confident the 82nd does just as many, if not more AA Ops than 101 in Combat and CONUS.

There is absolutely no necessity to be AA qualified to get on a helicopter and get off one...you are correct. AA school or PF school will prep those that need to slingload equipment...even then, some OJT can train anyone to do that job. I know that in 101, the NCO or Officer that signs the 7382-R has to be AA or PF qualified; or at least that was the standard in my BDE.

IMO, in the 70s when the 101st became "airmobile", then eventually "air assault", it was more out of nostalgia of keeping the Division "special"...since they weren't airborne anymore. Air Assault school is more of a right of passage for Soldiers; and a requirement for green tabbers at Campbell.

I've done AA ops with the IRAQI ARMY...so trust me, there is no special qualifications. Although I will admit, their exit from a chinook after landing was just as fast and proficient as any 101 unit I was with!!!