Quote Originally Posted by Infanteer View Post
To paraphrase - give a region to the enemy if he contests it.

This seems to take counter-insurgency junk theory to its limit. Military direction like this seems to rely on some sort of deus ex machina to solve the problem of militant irregulars.
Junk theory? I can't understand what the difficulty in understanding is. What phase of insurgency would you class Afghanistan? The strategy and tactics needed are to combat guerrilla warfare. Not rocket science if you have the resources, (manpower and funding).

I know COP JFM and the area very well. You can't leave the door there without moving into an area that would require defence using lethal force. Thus, to follow this directive, they would have to withdraw from the area.
Maybe that's the best option. I often wonder what the ratio of kills between the two sides is? I know it has to be poor when it is classified. So yes under these circumstances better to withdraw from the area.

Now take Helmand and figure out where the troops should be. Where is the vital ground (VG)? Which is the ground of tactical importance (GTI)? Question answered. Oh yes... and get rid of the poppies... all of the poppies!