Thread: One stop interrogation & interviewing resource

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default To be complete,

my position on "Intelligence Interviewing" is pretty much carved in stone by these posts on the second page of Interrogation in Afghanistan:

Comments on methodology (my major points)

Hi Ted (requesting Jedburgh's opinion)

Ted's Response - with a snip from his comments:

Mike, one comment you made about the article was that it illustrated that an interrogator could, ”…turn the 'interrogation' (perceptionally adversarial) into an 'interview' (perceptionally non-adversarial).” Your caveat about perception is astute – the interrogation remains adversarial in that we still need to extract information from the source that he is unwilling to share. However, developing rapport in such a way that it creates this type of source perception facilitates drawing out information from the source without his clear realization as to what he has just compromised.

One book that myself and others on this board have previously mentioned as regarded by military interrogators as “the” classic in the field is The Interrogator: The Story of Hanns Joachim Scharff: Master Interrogator of the Luftwaffe. Although he does relate some coercive psychological methods – such as faking the execution of a prison during an interrogation of another – the majority of the content provides an outstanding illustration of the manipulation of source perceptions from adversarial toward non-adversarial communication for effective elicitation of intelligence information.
    Hi Ted (#2 - violent agreement )

Excellent reference (my thanks for the reference to the Scharff book - Scharff, a South African German, was a really amazing guy).

So, BLUF (the "line up front" needed a brief intro): Jedburgh and I are kinda softies in this particular arena; i.e., we accept the "non-coercive" TT&Ps as a general rule.

Regards

Mike
    Last edited by jmm99; 08-29-2010 at 05:21 AM.