Quote Originally Posted by 82redleg View Post
I don't know that it was totally due to lack of carriers, but I do know that the BSFVs (M6?) were converted back, and that available numbers were at least part of the consideration.

I've heard that the Stryker RV (M1127) has limited eyeball capability, and limited dismount ability- the second may be to MTOE, not a capacity, issue.

I like the idea of a Stryker RSTA in the HBCT, but I would change the organization (in both BCTs): Each troop would contain 2 Recon Platoons with RVs (4 x M1127, 16 dismounts + 8 crew = 24 pax total), 1 MGS Platoon (4 x M1128, 12 pax total), 1 Rifle PLT (4 x M1126 ICV, 44 pax total). 3 line troops like this, with an HHT. Alternatively, (with a blank check) we could replace the RVs with M3s, the ICVs with M2s and the MGS with M1s in the HBCT- I am in favor of keeping the same organization between the HBCT and SBCT, with the primary difference being the platforms used.

I'm not sure of the need for the Surveillance Troop n the SBCT RSTA. In the HBCT and IBCT, these elements are part of the BSTB. Maybe instead of the Surveillance Troop (or in addition to it) the HBCT RSTA could have a fourth line troop with the Stryker platforms, or they could go into a SQDN Scout PLT in the HHT. I believe that 3-73 AR (the 82nd ABN Sheridan BN) tested a LAV-25 scout platoon, maybe even deploying it to OPN Desert Storm.
The current HBCT has:

58 tanks, 29 in each CAB. Gute's suggestion would increase the number of tank platoon per CAB from 6 to 8, total number of tanks from 29 to 37. Crew requirement would be the CAB Scout platoon of 36. Doable with 4 PAX left over.

58 M2 BFVs, 29 in each CAB

30 M3 CFV, 5 in each CAB and 20 in the ARS.

When equipped with LRAS3, the M1127 has excellent opics, just no mounted weapon. Its an either or situation. Mount LRAS or the 50cal/Mk-19.

Like the idea of standarizing the ARS in HBCT & SBCTs, addes a bit of deception from the other side of the hill (I'm I up against an HBCT or SBCT, don't know yet, have not seen any tracks...)

Like the 2X6 + 2X3 RV/MGS mix, very CAV old school. Again, three SBCT platoons of 24 (72 PAX) down to 2 platoons of 6 (6 PAX each) 36 PAX per platoon. Need 18 PAX to man your MGS, 4 from the new CAB and 14 from somewhere. Probably doable, especially if you start with 28 PAX per platton (current MTOE). 28x3 = 84, 84-72 = 12, 12+4 = 16 only 2 PAX required to field the modified SBCT recon Troop. very doable.

Really the BCT UAVs should proably all be under the command of their respective ARSs. That's who will be asking for them the most/first.

Infantry in the ARS solves the issue of robustness/sustainablity. IIRC thye "old" bundeshere recon Bns had a company of infantry mounted on Fuches.