Quote Originally Posted by bumperplate View Post
Pretty new to the site...I've read a lot of your stuff and I'm not as well read as you are.
Do not be fooled! Reading means nothing in this game unless you can translate that into clear advice and guidance.
I currently teach tactics to LTs. I teach them about the OODA loop. I try to find holes in it, but I can't.
The OODA loop describes one possible set of actions. Looking, understanding, making a decision and then acting upon it, are things that people do. However it does not describe how people actually think for real. It describes one possible sequence of decision making. What if the observation is coloured by action already taken? It describes a possible process. It does not guide you as to how make decisions.
I think it's a very useful construct and plays well with the study of maneuver warfare principles or any others you feel vital to winning at the tactical level.
Well I think Manoeuvre Warfare is at best a crutch for poor understanding.
So, I realize you are not "buying it", but I can't understand why.
Do you teach the "Core Functions." FIND, FIX, STRIKE, EXPLOIT? Far more useful than the OODA loop. They provide clear explicit guidance, and each action is only successful if the previous one has been performed effectively.

Does that help?