Thread: China's Emergence as a Superpower (till 2014)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Posted by Backwards Observer,

COL Moore, thanks for taking the time.
    Much appreciate the promotion, especially if a paycheck comes with it

As the old saying goes, I'm not a COL, I work for a living. COL's also claim to know the answers, I only offer alternative views (not life styles) to hopefully challenge the dogmas that plague our thinking (mine included).

I'm not sure what Neocon ideology is, should it cause one concern?
    Based on my readings and listening to various political talk shows the neocon philosophy touches a lot of areas ranging from culture to foreign policy. My main concern is they tend to aggressively push democracy and free markets (and under the former President used the military to forceably install this type of government system). They see it as a natural evolutionary state for States, and if they achieve it they'll be unlikely to engage in hostile acts against our interests. I used to be a big believer, but have soured on the philosophy over the years. I now tend to think if a nation and its people (not sure how you separate the two) desire to establish a democracy, we should be there to help (if requested), but we have no business forceably installing democracy and free markets at the tip of the bayonet, nor do we have a good track record in doing so. I think our foreign policy needs to be more pragmatic. Should it be a cause of concern? I think that depends on your world view.

Many in South East Asia who grew up under colonialism, lived under occupation, did business with the new breed of Westerners in the Eighties or watched the Asian Financial Crisis unfold in the late Nineties are somewhat familiar with what economic warfare looks like. To infer that President Hu is practicing some nefarious black art is curious to say the least.
    Maybe, maybe not, and I don't think we really know how much President Hu actually controls.

Could China conceivably be recognising a long-term problem in the sometimes haphazardly applied freedom agenda? Destabilisation by outside powers, whether intended or unintended, is not a dinner party either.
    I agree, and this is where our neocon approach is seen as by others as destablizing and dangerous, which in turn pushes some countries to pursue a hostile relationship with the U.S..

Council Member Backwards Observer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Posted by Backwards Observer,

Much appreciate the promotion,
    I almost was going to address you as GEN Moore, tuan sahib. I blame my post-colonial upbringing.

Council Member

I almost was going to address you as GEN Moore, tuan sahib. I blame my post-colonial upbringing.
    I can hear the rumors now, Bill retired and then joined some mercenary group that overthrew a small country in Africa and appointed himself General.

Default IISS: two links

A recently published paper on China's Military Rise (which awaits reading on holiday) and to public statements on US-PRC military links:http://www.iiss.org/
    davidbfpo

Link to article on how China does money.

http://www.webofdebt.com/articles/cr...accounting.php

Default The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

Link to opening seen of one of greatest Unconventional War movies of all time(Chinese call it Unrestricted Warfare). The movie is about Chinese brainwashing techniques used to support a political assassination that stages an internal takeover of America by the Secret Rich Elite of America who have always supported the basic idea of Communism (rule by a rich,privileged central planning committee). The original movie is showing on some cable channel this month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBDhoUZgsDo&NR=1

Council Member Backwards Observer's Avatar

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    The movie is about Chinese brainwashing techniques
    Ya, I saw this movie in Brainwashing Camp, good film. It seems to activate the CHOODA Loop: CHICOMS!OMFG! -> Observe -> Orient -> Decide -> Act -> CHICOMS!OMFG! -> Observe -> Orient -> etc.