Ok, I concede the FDR / Churchill mix up. Otherwise I simply refer Carl and Dayuhan to each other for a group hug. I recommend you both read Friedman's "next decade," not that it agrees with me on all points or disagrees with you all, but I think you'll find it an interesting read. I don't think he takes into account role of today's info technology to the degree he should when he makes his argument on the US being a reluctant empire and needing to act like one along the lines of Rome and Great Britain, but otherwise there is a lot of good information and clear thinking. I don't think certain TTPs that were viable then would work today.

I will ad for Carl, the US and the Soviets came within a C-hair of launching on each other a few times as I understand it. Deterrence is always a delicate balance of provocation and restraint, and we are disrupting that balance in Pak-India. That could cause a tragic miscalculation. I didn't say it was most likely, on that it was the only real danger that we need to focus on in that region currently, and it is the one we seem to focus on least.