Quote Originally Posted by SethB View Post
The only people that still use rulers to measure length of pull are the wing shooters.
Really? That probably accounts for the general drop in standards then.

The simple method is take hold of the pistol grip turn the knuckles downwards with the butt (stock) flat on your forearm then lift the weapon up by bending the elbow. The perfect fit is when the weapon locks in the perpendicular position. If you can't get to the perp then the butt is too long and if you can get past the perp then it is too short. (adjust for any shoulder padding)

When they bring the weapon up from the high ready that they favor, they call it mounting, and for those purposes a long length of pull is an asset.
Where is the butt (stock) in the "high ready'?

In the days when weapons which had a recoil were used the butt rested in the shoulder so that in one movement the barrel was raised and pointed at the target as your cheek found its position on the butt.

It appears that with low recoil weapons the position of the butt seems less important. The principles of marksmanship remain the same (aiming, holding, breathing, squeezing) Holding indicates a stable platform as being important. I would be interested to observe the fall of shots fired by weapons half in or half out of the shoulder or even with no shoulder contact at all. That is before we consider aiming, breathing and trigger action.

Most people that shoot M4s these days use the stock in, with their elbow down like shown in the picture. It gives you a short package, keeps your elbow from running into things, and squares your body up to the target.
Not sure the position of the right arm makes that much difference other than at 45 degrees downwards being the most comfortable.

Most people assume that this helps your rifle plate to catch lead, but it also helps the but to stay on your shoulder. If you turn too much it will slide off.
How so?

Some guys actually make pads that will help keep the toe of the stock from sliding.
You see what lengths one has to go to if the butt (stock) is in the wrong position to start with.

He's using just the toe so that he doesn't have to lean his head down over the rifle to see the sight.
Yes thats kind of weird. I read in a Brit weapon pamphlet the other day that after all this time they now advocate that the head when shooting should be in the upright position to help maintain your balance. Funny that in all my time I never heard of a soldier falling over because he cocked his head slightly to the right when aiming.

As for the finger on the trigger... that part is just plain wrong.
Agree and already noted.