Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
External recognition is important for external considerations, but has little bearing on internal considerations. I guess my question would be, election aside, does the populace perceive that the election captured their will and do they recognize this leader as well?

Too often as the outsiders we help establish an election, it takes place, a victor emerges, is duly recognized by those external parties, and we all congratulate ourselves on bringing democracy to some dark corner of the planet. What is your assessment of how the populace feels about this? Are the rebels sore losers in an accepted process, or are they representatives of some significant segment of the populace who felt excluded from full and fair participation in the legal process?
I'll be cynical but also I believe objective (the line is somehow difficult to draw in the red soil of Africa): does it really matter?
I the case of Ivory Coast, you have a group of rebels who are backing a president elected with more than 50% in a system that was designed to ensure 90% to the president!
So yes, thet do represent a fairly large portion of the population. And Yes their participation is not free from charges.

In comparaison, you have countries as Uganda with a facade pluri parti system and a president elected with 83% of the vote on 1st round. Well, in a country where if you wanna be a legal political party you have to be a non dissident branch of the presidential party... Does he really represent any body part from is tribe and few economic actors? I let you judge.

What is important is the fact that African Leades cannot hide behind the excuse of we are different now!
African people are human being living on Earth and as such they have the same right than others to cast a vote after a peaceful political campaign and their choice, what ever the arguments given, ethnical strings or what else, to be respected (both sides winners and loosers living in peace). And if not then there is first a ban by other african leaders then a military operation, supported by african leaders, to bring the process back in tracks.
And that does count!

I have seen too many governments and local illetrate leaders saying that in Africa what was important was the homogeneity of the community, that democracy brings divisions in the villages...
Well, I'm not an ethnograph or an anthropologist but I can tell you with 200% insurance that African village unity is a lie, just like african protocommunism. Just like everywhere else, in a village you have a community of people with various personnal objectives who do oppose on many things. Did that end up in wars? All the time? NO!
Let's face it: you are from US, Thailand, Australia, Ivory Coast, Zambia, Colombia... What counts it's your level of education to fully understand the process. The rest is just silly talk designed to preserve interrests.

And by the way, be carefull with legality. With good lawyers I can get you elected president dictator for life of what ever African poor subsaharian country. That will not mean that you, Bob, you will be legitimate. But it would be legal (and fair if they work well).