Thread: Podcast: Building A Law Enforcement Intelligence Operation Center, Part I

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Nassau PD replies

Erich,

Sgt. Ryder's response to my comments on the other website:
    Sir,
    I agree with the fact that it is a dangerous assumption to assume – and we all know what happens when we assume!

The whole concept behind Intelligence Led Policing is to give the cop on the street additional tools to do his job more effectively and efficiently; it is the old method of constant and irregular patrol with a direction and a purpose. We don’t direct them at the probationary necessarily as a target, but the statistics show that a burglary probationary may be doing more burglaries.

We teach them through the touch screens of Real Time Intelligence to understand the criminal environment, and to know who the players are, but we also explain on every single intelligence bulletin and/or probationary profile is “This report is not probable cause for arrest and please contact the Intelligence Center with any additional information”.

What happens is the cop learns of the criminal activity on his post from the screen and then looks at who is on probation or parole (Warrants, DNA required, Gang Activity, etc). While responding to the call, he sees the bad guy walking away from the scene, he may want to encounter or later contact his probation or parole officer and have them pay the person a visit.

We have closed a bunch of cases by conducting probation visits and finding proceeds from previous crimes. A cop today has a world of problems on his shoulders – handling aided cases, gang issues, drug problems in the schools, and crime on his post. What RTI does is give them a direction, and an awareness of their criminal environment and the environment on the adjoining post, so they can effectively and efficiently do their jobs.

We are a county of 1.4 million residents, and have a sworn police department of approximately 2,350 (every day we are down-sizing, the effect of a good ILP program). Last year we lowered our violent crime by 11% and this year in the first quarter we are down another 10% – there is a direct correlation to the RTI screens driving enforcement and educating the cop.

We measure success by arrest and crime numbers, and there have been 609 warrants closed and 392 DNA samples taken directly related to the system. A cop sees on the screen who is wanted or owes DNA on his post, and he proactively goes after it. Before, a cop only knew if someone had a warrant if he encountered the person and ran the name.

It’s all about understanding the criminal environment, and we are cautious – as you pointed out – not to target a probationary but to know who he is. I agree with the comment and hope I have shown you the measures we have taken to protect the program.
    Link:http://policeledintelligence.com/2011/04/06/ryder-ncpd/
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 04-15-2011 at 07:03 PM.
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    Erich,

Sgt. Ryder's response to my comments on the other website:

Link:http://policeledintelligence.com/2011/04/06/ryder-ncpd/
    That is pretty interesting. I wonder how many departments find themselves in this situation: "A cop sees on the screen who is wanted or owes DNA on his post, and he proactively goes after it. Before, a cop only knew if someone had a warrant if he encountered the person and ran the name."
    Erich G. Simmers
    www.weaponizedculture.org