Thread: Syria: a civil war (closed)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Firestorms in teapots are still firestorms -- and unhelpful

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    Those who selected and trained me created contrived situations to test for this particular character defeat (in all of us). Those that failed to demonstrate a phlegmatic disposition would be sent on their way.
    Mmm. Then what happened?
    As Ken has repeated stated the US has proved to be incapable to intervening with any success just about anywhere.
    Not quite right, as is quite common with thee...

Ken has frequently stated that successful interventions, generic, all parties, are rare. The US record is no better or worse than many others.
    US intervention in Syria (like in Libya) would be sure to be a class one 'cock-up'.
    Possible, also possible that it could be effective even in your opinion (though that's rather doubtful no matter how it turned out...). That's not the reason not to do it; the reason is that the Syrians have to provide a Syrian solution to a Syrian problem and that busybodies who like interventions -- but rarely themselves participate and instead kibitz from a comfortable distance -- generally do not understand all they think they know about the issue. As is shown...
    What will restrain any temptation to intervene is the opposition of Russia and China.
    Of course, just as it restrained intervention in the case of Afghasnistan and Iraq.
    I think that should clear things up.
    Bwahahhahahahaaaa...
    The White House over my lifetime (the last 60 years) has shown not capacity intelligent strategic thinking and action leaving the world (that is everyone other than US citizens) what the hell the US are on about.
    You kids are so impatient. If you'd paid attention in history class you'd know that the US has been doing that to one degree or another for about 225 years. The US is on about itself and doesn't give, in the words of my favorite Canadian Journalist, a rat's a$S what the rest of the world thinks. Poor attitude on our part, I know but that's life. Get used to it, not going to change in the short remainder of your life.
    ...my suppose 'one-size-fits-all' approach... because it is nonsense.
    True. Two sizes, cutting off heads and cruise missiles.

Then there's this:
    With Russia, China, Iran and Lebanon supporting does anyone really think Assad with take notice of the finger wagging from the US, Britain and Europe?
    That's sort of simplistic, which is okay but it is also borderline ludicrous. You probably should not have added Iran to your usual blustery, certainly could have omitted Lebanon.
    The shooting has started, the massacres are happening so it will take more than a fireside chat to stop it.
    Isn't that always the case? How well do your fireside chats affect what even the RSA, much less the UK, the US or the broader world behave? Absolute shame others do nor react the way one dictates.
    The US already has urine running down its leg as a fear response to possibly being sucked into a shooting match in Syria. So what do they have to back up their finger wagging?
    I wouldn't know about urine running down a leg though that apparently happens to some who seem prone to project a bit. The issue is not fear, it is simply cost. We wasted too much money on those other interventions that China and Russia disapproved of. We also have a new generation that has learned the futility of interventions, so we're good for another 30-40 years before we get to relearn that...
    ...lest the rest of the world come to realise just how impotent the US really is (if they haven't grasped it already).
    As that Canadian Journalist said...
    Last edited by Ken White; 03-04-2012 at 02:58 PM.