Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
WW2 would be close. Might be a few others, haven't time to go through case by case. Not many, certainly. "Required" is a big word: intervention would only be "required" in the event of a grave and imminent threat could be averted in no other way. I can imagine circumstances in which intervention would be desirable, though not required, though not many.
Thank you for your opinion on the matter. As stated before you are so far out in left field on this that there is no point is discussing the matter further with you.

I'm curious, what exactly do you find objectionable in the criteria I cited? Compelling national interest, an opportunity for action under advantageous circumstances, and a clear, practical, achievable goal... how is that unreasonable? Seems a bare minimum one would ask for before getting into a military engagement overseas. What would you propose as criteria to be met before commitment to military intervention?
I really don't care what criteria you cite because quite simply nothing (in your opinion) would meet those criteria. No point in discussing the the matter further with you.

Since when has it been "arrogant" for participants in a discussion to expect other participants in that discussion to present and support their views? Kind of hard to have a discussion if people aren't willing to "present their case", no?
You may expect what you like but people passing through any discussion board are not required to answer to your beck and call.

In this thread it goes beyond arrogance and into the realms of stupidity in that despite my saying repeatedly that the US should not intervene in Syria I get asked why should the US intervene in Syria. Pointless to respond to that sort of insanity.

You can wait for an invitation to "present your case" to Congress if you want, but it might take a while.
As Bob would say (quite rightly in this case)... grow up.

Since when has an absence of intervention equaled isolationism? There's a whole range of ways to be internationally engaged without military intervention. The Chinese haven't taken up military intervention, are they "isolationist"?
Tibet 1951?

The US has put so much money where its mouth is that it has none left in its wallet.
This is not accurate to the point of being a deliberate untruth.

Possibly there are some Americans out there who want to be "the bride at every wedding and the baby at every Christening", but I see no reason why anyone here should answer for them, unless someone here has expressed such views... are you perghaps generalizing about what "Americans" collectively think or want?
The US Administration certainly does.

That brings me back to the perennial problem of just about every American having a different view of what is in the US's best interests. Yet all stated as if they were the truth and the only truth.

The world has been weaning itself off US hegemony for decades. That's not a bad thing; hegemony wasn't good for the US or anyone else. The greatest hit to US hegemony in recent years was probably the Iraq debacle; Libya, which was a debacle of minor proportions if it was one at all (I'd argue that it wasn't though that's a subject for another thread), pales by comparison.
So you missed the main issue with Libya then?

The world tends to watch the actions of the current US Administration and not listen to odd bod US citizens with different opinions.

If you refer to the "us" in this line:

that's referring to the rest of the participants in this discussion. I'd have thought that obvious.
OK... so like us against him (like in the school yard?)

China has nothing at all to do with intervention in Syria, and Russia very little.
I suggest that that is a very ignorant opinion... suggest further study on your part.

US politicians aren't staying out of Syria because they're afraid of the Russians and Chinese, who aren't going to fight for Basher Assad in any event,
Fight? Can fear only be linked to a fight?

they're staying out because they're afraid of the American voter, and of the legacy they'd incur in the likely event that they bog the US down in yet another pointless, expensive, and messy in a fight that has nothing to do with the US. Is that really an unreasonable fear?
That's your personal opinion.

Agreed... the heart of the problem is not the silly interventions, but a set of domestic economic issues that does owe a great deal to a leadership deficit, though the followership hasn't exactly covered itself in glory. That doesn't mean the money spent in Iraq and a great deal of what was spent in Afghanistan couldn't have been put to any number of better purposes.
Good, now lets have no more innuendo that the cost of these interventions are the cause of the US's current economic woes from you then, OK?

Constraining domestic spending is but a fraction of it. Constraining spending on unnecessary and wasteful interventions is an even smaller fraction. In any event, I can't see how intervention in Syria, or anywhere else, would put the US in a better position.
Yes you can't see it, won't entertain it... so there is no point in discussing it with you, yes?

The US is declining (to the extent that it is) for many reasons, but I can't see how an intervention deficit can be called one of them
I said it could?