One refrain that's appearing consistently these days is that the Philippines should not depend on the US as its sole or primary source of military equipment. Look, for example, at the comments on the numerous articles floating around dealing with the recent transfer of another Coast Guard Cutter. There's a lot of irritation over the US decision to remove some armaments (Phalanx CIWS and 2 25mm chain guns) before the turnover, and it's often noted that the US seems reluctant to provide armaments that are competitive even with those of regional peers, let alone China.
China sends more ships to disputed shoal

China has deployed more ships to a disputed shoal in the South China Sea amid a tense stand-off with the Philippines, officials and state media said on Wednesday.

As of Monday night, there were five Chinese government vessels -- up from three -- and 16 fishing boats in the area, the Philippine foreign department said.

Manila has lodged a fresh protest with the Chinese embassy over the build-up, department spokesman Raul Hernandez said.

Using the shoal's Philippine name, Hernandez added: "The Philippines, therefore, demands that China's vessels immediately pull out from Bajo de Masinloc and the Philippines' exclusive economic zone."

China's official Xinhua news agency said controls have been "strengthened" in the area and quoted a foreign ministry spokesman as saying it had "about 20 fishing boats" near the disputed Scarborough Shoal, "roughly the same number as in previous years".
http://ph.news.yahoo.com/china-sends...173705696.html
I take it that given this escalation:

1. The numerous article floating around in te Phippines has the option to look a gift horse in the teerh and demand that the teeth are made of Gold!

2. Philippines feels that the Moro rebels are threat #1 and the Chinese just a side show.

3. That Phippines feels that the US is not a dependable ally!

But then, I presume I could be wrong!