Thread: Africom Stands Up 2006-2017

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by KingJaja View Post
    On an unrelated note, if any global power is culturally unsuited for engagement with Africa, then it must be the US.
    I would say that if any Western Government is culturally inept in the WORLD, it is the USG. Not to kick a dead horse herein, but our government abroad is run by State, and the personnel she employs tend to embarrass me. Little I can do about that !

I look at the hundred odd years of relationship between the British and the ruling class in Nigeria's North - deep, solid, personal relationships. US has nothing near to that and if the US were to try to cultivate those relationships in this day and age, it would be accused of favoring one part of Nigeria over the other.
    I once had a Zairian tell me about the Brits in Zaire vs the Yanks. I now live with an Estonian who bitterly complains about Russians. Don’t take this personally, but every culture on earth has something bad to say about another. Easier to adapt to your local norm, stand back and laugh. You, my friend, have a “hard on” for AFRICOM, despite the fact you know very little about it. I back you on the culturally inept at embassies in Africa, but, without your government’s support, this bickering will go nowhere. I recommend a trip to Rhodes in the summer with loud and obnoxious Brits and worse yet, rich Chinese and Russians on vacation together.

If you look at cultural similarities, Chinese have a lot in common with Africans - extended families, respect for elders, respect for culture & a sense of "morality" that tolerates bribery. Americans on the other hand, are often seen as "rigid" & possibly "moralistic" (both the French & British had to compromise a lot during colonial rule - they might not tell Americans that).
    We are all to some extent culturally challenged. The Chinese both in Africa and here live like dogs. I don’t see the respect or morality and would prefer to be an ignorant Yank.

In Nigeria, the Chinese are already speaking Hausa, Berom & other native languages. They have an instinctive understanding of the land - many Americans will struggle to grasp that; the cultural gulf is far too wide.
    That may very well be because few speak Chinese, so there is little left to do but get with the local language and cultural gap. If not a soul in Nigeria spoke a single word of English, that would be a different matter and the majority of diplomats would then be required to learn your local language. IMO, there is little in Africa that could be concluded as instinctive.

Does the US have the right mind set to navigate through these cultural landmines? I doubt it. Americans lack the patience to deal with deep rooted historical issues, we've seen it time and time again: Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq - I don't think Africa will be any different.
    The USG does not have the right mindset, but the Americans I work and live with do. Would you care to strike a comparison with Vietnam and Afghanistan, so that I can see where you are going with this ? I'm only in my late 50s, so you may very well know more about those campaigns than I.

Regards. Stan
    Last edited by Stan; 10-24-2013 at 04:52 PM.
    If you want to blend in, take the bus