Thread: Africom Stands Up 2006-2017

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Yup, I see agreement ...

though, of course, you come with a Nigerian slant; I come with an American slant; and our rhetoric may sometimes clash (or at least grate) for that reason.

IMO (to the end of post): African-American "engagement" with the African continent is very much the same as American "engagement" with the African continent. Whether a politician's desire for engagement is or was genuine requires knowing the politician. In the case of, say, John Conyers, George Crockett and Dennis Archer, I'd bet on genuineness; though each of them is or was admittedly far more knowledgeable and involved with American domestic issues. As to others I don't really know, I can only go on the record they've made - which often is conflicting.

In any event, in my perception, both American and African-American "engagements with Africa" are usually more rhetorical than anything else. If "a call to action" results in action, the resultant proxy action reminds everyone of the Cold War, neo-colonialism or neo-imperialism; and, to my perception, those proxy actions haven't gained much for the US. Most often, the rhetoric "speaks loudly" without a "big stick" (often without any stick). Better to speak not at all, than to speak against genocide and then do nothing about it; or, more frankly, better to directly state that we are going to do nothing about it, and take the heat for that honest statement.

End rant.

Regards

Mike
    Last edited by jmm99; 10-27-2013 at 05:36 AM.