Thread: COIN case: LRA Lords Resistance Army

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Bill, my experience in soldiering with Americans has been all good. From my experience there is no problem with the quality of professional soldiers in your country.

That said I would suggest that the weakness in these overseas adventures at short notice is that the soldiers so deployed have none or very little local knowledge of enemy and terrain... but perhaps worse still no understanding of the local troops they are to work with or train.

IIRC it was Norwegians and/or Germans who were called in to train troops for Somalia. Maybe now you can understand my contention that it is a case of the blind leading the blind. What can a Norwegian or a German contribute to the training of Africans for a war in Africa? Zero, zip, nothing (unless in a specific weapon or weapon system).

A few years ago we saw reference to the training of a battalion in the DRC comprising elements from various rebel groups by a US training team. Not good, look it up.

I put my head on a block that the only way to train troops in Africa is through "training the trainers".

OK back to warfare. To avoid coming in blind US forces must be fed into the system over a period of years and not - under any circumstances - on a short tour.

Study is important and I would suggest it starts here:

BUSH WARFARE - The Early Writings of General Sir William C.G. Heneker, KCB KCMG DSO

This is an account of the experiences of a Canadian officer at the end of the 1800s who clearly was capable of understanding warfare in Africa and should be studied by all before deployment to Africa.

etc etc ...
    Last edited by JMA; 06-17-2014 at 04:29 PM.