Thread: Airpower Jumping Off In Syria

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well, indeed, there must be something about such games I do not understand at all, so I guess you'll have your hands full of explaining me a few things now.

For example, I would expect that the people writing targeting lists for air shows of this kind would - after 14 years of continuous warfare against such groups like the Daesh - have learned that targeting 'headquarters', 'storage sites', 'captured air bases', even 'refineries' (whether 'true' refineries in sense of industrial facilities, or various makeshift refineries 'constructed' run by dozens of Syrian families in NE of that country) means absolutely nothing.

I would expect the same people to understand that this is not going to degrade Daesh's capability to continue spreading terror the least. Just like bombing 'refineries' in Syria, while doing nothing of that kind with much larger facilities under the Daesh control in Iraq, is actually counterproductive.

Thus, my first question: since every 18-years old recruit in a military based on draft is drilled to pack and get out of the barracks within the shortest period of time (usually 5-10 minutes) in the case of any sort of an alert, would you be so kind to specify: in what fashion is blasting of empty buildings going to 'degrade' the combat effectiveness or at least capability of a force like the Daesh is one to continue spreading its terror?

For example, do you think that's going to prevent it from overrunning the Kobane pocket?

To make few things clear: I have no doubts that 'bombing a [empty] house' looks better on any LANTRIN-video than 'bombing two black dots [read: humans, tanks, artillery pieces etc.] in some open space'. Plus, houses are renowned for not running around and thus for being easier to hit (word is that this is a sort of tradition for houses and quite common between them since something like 11,000 years)...

But still, I'm simply not getting that with relation between the Daesh and empty houses....

Anyway, field forces are No. 5 in that strategy. Hey, that's great. Good organization, fantastic and throughout thinking, excellent checklist: keep it going. 'Guess they've spent several hundreds of millions plus a number of years to think about this all, plus needed help and consultation from a number of private companies and think-tanks, of course, so I can't but conclude: 'job well done lads'.

Now, what would you say, when is it likely that the people writing these targeting lists might come to the idea that it's about the time to 'go for Ring 5', i.e. when can the YPG and FSyA units defending the Kobane pocket expect at least some of all the planes flying over NE Syria to come to their aid?

a) When US-led coalition has bombed all the empty buildings that it thinks are going to degrade Daesh's combat effectiveness;
    b) When the Daesh overruns the Kobane pocket
    c) When the Daesh idiots start slaughtering any combatants and civilians they catch in the Kobane pocket?
    d) Or when all of this will be over and Daesh idiots start posting videos of their 'victory' on Twitter and Facebook?

Please feel free to take your time with answer. I guess it's obvious that nobody (except the Daesh) is in a hurry here.
    Last edited by CrowBat; 09-27-2014 at 11:37 PM.