Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
So that being said can we say that guerrilla warfare, and insurgency are strictly the province of land warfare? Second point, was the French resistance during WW2 an insurgency or something else? Does this look like it explains the relationships?

I wouldn't say "strictly" land warfare, although predominantly so. Many insurgents have some naval element, e.g. arms trafficking for the Viet Cong and FMLN, and water borne raids in the Niger Delta. I can't think of any with an air component, but it's not out of the question. Plus, there is the tricky question of the informational battlespace. That is a major one for insurgents but is not, strictly speaking, land warfare.

I would not consider the French resistance insurgency. Certainly it was guerrilla war. But I don't think the resistance ever though it could attain its strategic objectives on its own (although when I visited the French military museum in Paris, I learned how the the French resistance decisively defeated the Germans while a few Brits, Canadians, and Americans sort of lingered in the background).